Hide

Thringstone

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"THRINGSTONE, a township in Whitwick parish, Leicester; 1½ mile NNE of Swannington r. station. It has a post-office under Leicester. Acres, 1,500. Real property, £5,852; of which £2,174 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,298; in 1861, 1,404. Houses, 310. The manor belongs to T. Boultbee, Esq. The church of Whitwick-St. Andrew erected in 1862, the parsonage of Swannington-St. George, a Wesleyan chapel, two national schools, and a British school, are here."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Whitwick sub-district of the Ashby de la Zouch Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2084
1861 R.G. 9 / 2271 & 2272
1871 R.G. 10 / 3251
1891 R.G. 12 / 2513
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Andrew.
     
  • The church's ecclesiastical parish was formed on 19 October, 1875, out of Whitwick, Thringstone and Swannington.
     
  • The church was built in Thringstone Chapelry in 1862 of local stone.
     
  • The church seats 220.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1862.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of South Akeley.
     
  • A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built here before 1912.
     
  • The Primitive Methodist Chapel was also built here before 1912.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Whitwick sub-district of the Ashby de la Zouch Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Thringstone was a Chapelry and was a parish until 1936, and is a village and a township about 7 miles south-east of Ashby-de-la-Zouch and 10 miles north-west of Leicester. The parish covered about 872 acres.

Thringstone was one of five Chapelries and townships that made up Whitwick parish. If you are planning a visit:

  • The village is now a suburb of Coalville. By automobile, take the A50 trunk road northwest out of Leicester city, or take the A512 arterial west out of Loughborough.
You can see pictures of Thringstone which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Thringstone has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The coal has long been mined-out in the parish.
topup

Manors

  • Thringstone Hall was the residence of Breedon Newland EVERARD esq. in 1912.
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK428176 (Lat/Lon: 52.754325, -1.367293), Thringstone which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Long a Chapelry in Whitwick parish, the area was formed as a Civil Parish in December, 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient West Gosctoe Hundred (or Wapentake).
     
  • In 1885, the parish was reduced to enlarge Coleorton Civil Parish with the area known as "Rotten Row".
     
  • Thringstone Civil Parish was abolished in April, 1936. 482 acres went to Osgathorpe C.P., 142 acres went to Coalville C.P., 98 acres went to Coleorton C.P., 70 acres went to Swannington C.P., 68 acres went to Belton C.P., and 12 acres went to Worthington C.P.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Ashby de la Zouch petty session hearings.
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Ashby de la Zouch Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

Year Inhabitants
1851 1,298
1861 1,404
1871 1,402
1881 1,238
1891 911
1901 1,238
1911 1,279
1921 1,447
1931 1,566
topup

Schools

  • A Public Elementary School was built here in the village and enlarged in 1908 to hold 267 children.
     
  • A Public Elementary School was built here at Peggs Green in 1853 to hold 120 children and 70 infants.