Hide

Thurcaston

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"THURCASTON, a township and a parish in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicestershire. The township lies 3½ miles W by S of Syston r. station, and 4¼ N by W of Leicester. Real property, £2,194. Pop., 248. Houses, 57. The parish contains also Cropston township and Anstey chapelry, and comprises 2,960 acres. Post town, Rothley, under Loughborough. Pop., 1,095. Houses, 258. T. manor belongs to the Earl of Lanesborough; and Anstey manor, to the Earl of Stamford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £620. Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is good. The p. curacy of Anstey, formerly annexed to T., has become a separate rectory. There are an endowed school with £26 a year, and charities £52. Bishop Latimer was a native."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

The parish has a cemetery on the south side of the Leicester Road between Cropston and Thurcaston. It is maintained by the Parish Council's Burial Board.

topup

Census

  • Thurcaston was in the Rothley subdistrict of the Barrow-on-Soar registration district.
     
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 13 covers the Barrow on Soar District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2281
1871 R.G. 10 / 3265
1891 R.G. 12 / 2521
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to All Saints.
     
  • The date of construction is uncertain, but predates 1535.
     
  • The church seats 240.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2005.
     
  • Richard LAW has a nice photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2013.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1561.
     
  • The Anglican parish church was in the rural deanery of East Akeley.
     
  • In 1912, Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire places the church in the rural deanery of Guthlaxton (first division).
     
  • The parish had a small Wesleyan Methodist chapel in 1912.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
     
  • Thurcaston was in the Rothley subdistrict of the Barrow-on-Soar registration district.
     
  • The Registrar's Office in Barrow-upon-Soar closed in 1945. Certificates of birth, death and marriage can now be obtained from the Superintendent Registrar at Leicestershire Central.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Thurcaston is a village, a township and an ancient parish in Leicestershire. The parish is only 4.5 miles from Leicester city centre and 107 miles north of London. The parish covers 1,587 acres.

Cropston is a hamlet and township (once aslo a parish, but abolished in 1935) now in the parish of Thurcaston.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, the parish is just west of the A6 about 4.5 miles north of Leicester city centre.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Cropston Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.
     
You can see pictures of Thurcaston which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Thurcaston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Hugh LATIMER, Bishop of Worcester, was born here in 1470.
     
topup

Manors

  • There is no mention of a Hall or Manor House in the sources available to the webpage author.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK567108 (Lat/Lon: 52.691925, -1.162536), Thurcaston which are provided by:

topup

Military History

A new pulpit was added to the parish church in 1922 as a memorial to six men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.

A World War One Roll of Honour was place in the Memorial Pavilion, Anstey Lane.

A War Memorial Cross was erected at the foot (south end) of the churchyard in November, 1949.

Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the War Memorial Cross on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2014.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicester county and became a Civil Parish when those were incorporated.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient West Goscote Hundred in the northern (or Mid) division of the county.
     
  • In October, 1912, the parish was reduced by 12 acres to enlarge Rothley Civil Parish.
     
  • In April, 1935, the parish was enlarged by 7 acres with the abolition of Beaument Leys Civil Parish.
     
  • On that same date, the parish was enlarged by 430 acres with the abolition of Cropston Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, Thurcaston became part of the Barrow-upon-Soar Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Leicester petty session hearings.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 281
1871 249
1881 223
1891 195
1901 268
1911 345
1921 245
1931 336
1951 1,126
1961 1,587
topup

Schools

  • The local school was built here in 1715 by the Rev. Richard HILL.
     
  • In 1875, new buildings replaced the above and were designated a National School.
     
  • The school was further enlarged in 1894 and became a Public Elementary School. The school is south of the village on Anstey Lane and is now called the Richard Hill Primary School. Telephone Number: 01162 340212.
     
topup

Societies

The Thurcaston and Cropston Local History Society would enjoy hearing from you.