Description in 1871:
"THURLASTON, a parish, with a village and two townships, in Blaby district, Leicester; 3½ miles SSE of Desford r. station, and 6 NE of Hinckley. It has a post-office under Hinckley. Acres, 2,980. Real property, £5,914. Pop., 698. Houses, 148. The property is much subdivided. Normanton Hall belongs to W. Worswick, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £400. Patron, the Rev. J. Arkwright. The church was recently restored. There are a national school, and charities £10."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72



  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of All Saints lychgate on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2008.


  • The parish was in the Enderby sub-district of the Blaby Registration District.
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print. Volume 4 covers the Enderby sub-district.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 603
1861 R.G. 9 / 2258
1871 R.G. 10 / 3234
1891 R.G. 12 / 2501

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
  • The church was restored in 1850 and the church tower was restored in 1898.
  • The church seats 270.
  • Jonathan BILLINGER has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2008.
  • John SALMON also has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2016.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1588.
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Guthlaxton.
  • The Baptist chapel was founded in 1814.
  • There is a small Catholic domestic chapel attached to Normanton Hall.
  • Peter MacKENZIE has a photograph of the Evangelical Free Church Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2017. This used to be the Baptist Chapel.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Enderby sub-district of the Blaby Registration District.

Description & Travel

Thurlaston is a village, a township and a parish which lie about 7 miles south-west of Leicester and 3 miles north-west of Narborough. The parish covers about 2,575 acres and includes the hamlet of Normanton Turville.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, Thurlaston lies just north of the M69 motorway about 7 miles outside of Leicester city.
  • Read about the Thurlaston Wood at the Woodland Trust site.
  • Be sure to visit the Thurlaston village website.
You can see pictures of Thurlaston which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Thurlaston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • Find a copy of "The History Of Thurlaston, Leicestershire", by John Ordish HULME, 2009, 176 pages, ISBN-13: 9781104426200.
  • Thurlaston's village hall celebrated its eightieth year in 2008.
  • Tim GLOVER has a photograph of the Elephant and Castle Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2016.


  • Normanton Hall was the seat of Major William WORSLEY-WORSWICK, J.P. in 1912.
  • The major would lose a son in World War I. 2nd Lieutenant Basil Henry WORSLEY-WORSWICK of the 2nd King Edward's Horse would die on 29 Apr 1916, aged 35, during the Irish Easter Rebellion.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP502991 (Lat/Lon: 52.587394, -1.260472), Thurlaston which are provided by:


Military History

There is a World War I memorial metal plaque that was mounted in the parish church in 1924. There are nine names listed on the plaque.

Mounted just below the plaque above is a small, long and thin wooden board with short inscription to commemorate Jack SMITH, who died in the Korean conflict.


Politics & Government

  • The parish is in the ancient Sparkenhoe Hundred in the western division of the county.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Sparkenhoe (Market Bosworth) petty session hearings each week, alternating between Hinckley and Market Bosworth.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Blaby Poorlaw Union.


 Year Inhabitants
1801 364
1811 487
1841 694
1851 796
1901 526
1971 552


  • A Public Elementary School was built here in 1853 on Desford Road to hold 120 children.