Hide

Tilton

hide
Hide

Description in 1849:
"TILTON-ON-THE-HILL, is a village and parish, 11 miles east from Leicester, 3 north-east from Billesdon, and 10 south from Melton Mowbray, in the Hundred of East Goscote, Union ot Billesdon, and diocese of Peterborough. The living, is a vicarage, value £880; the present incumbent the Rev. Gerard Nevill, B.A., and is the alternate gift of N. Neville, Esq., E. R. Holden, Esq., and the Rev. R. T. Adnutt. The church is an old and handsome building dedicated to St. Peter, with a nave, aisles, chancel, south porch, tower, 4 bells and lofty spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a National school. The population, in 1841 was for Tilton township 190: the acreage 1,600. The manor is divided. Stone is quarried here. At Howbank Hill are the entrenchments of a Roman station."
"Post Office Directory, 1849"

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Timothy GLOVER has a photograph of St Peter's Churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2009.

Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Main Street on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2014. Note the churchyard wall on the left side.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Billesdon subdistrict of the Billesdon Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • You can find the 1891 census transcribed online.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2080
1871 R.G. 10 / 3227
1891 R.G. 12 / 2494
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter (and is actually in Halstead parish).
     
  • The church was originally built some time in the 13th century, although there was a priest recorded here in the Domesday Book of 1086.
     
  • There is verbal history that a church existed here in the time of King Stephen.
     
  • The church was substantially restored in 1854.
     
  • The church is a Grade I listed building with British Heritage.
     
  • The church seats 290.
     
  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1610.
     
  • The church was in the rural Goscote deanery (first portion).
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1813. While it was predominantly built in Tilton, the entrance is in Halstead.
     
  • Roger TEMPLEMAN has a photograph of the Methodist Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2015.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837, but Tilton did not exist as a Civil Parish until late 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the Billesdon subdistrict of the Billesdon Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Tilton is a village, a township and a parish that lies 11 miles east of Leicester city and 3 miles north-east of Billesdon. It is also 10 miles south of Melton Mowbray. The Eye Brook runs through the southern part of the parish. The parish covers about 3,110 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A47 east out of Leicester city and turn north onto the B6047 just after passing thru Billesdon.
     
  • Passenger service on the railway ceased in 1953.
     
  • The centre of the village is a Conservation Area.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2007.
     
  • There is a Village website you can visit.
     
You can see pictures of Tilton which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Tilton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • For centuries, most of the land around the village was used for grazing animals.
     
  • At Howbank Hill there are traces of the entrenchments of a Roman station.
     
  • Stone was quarried here in the 1800s. Ironstone was taken from Halstead township.
     
  • There was a railway station about one mile from the village in 1881. It was part of the Great Northern and London railway.
     
  • Timothy GLOVER has a photograph of the Rose and Crown Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2009.
     
topup

Manors

  • The web page author could find no mention of a "manor house" in Tilton.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK743057 (Lat/Lon: 52.643962, -0.90333), Tilton which are provided by:

topup

Military History

The World War One War Memorial on Castle Hill is a granite wheel cross with plaque at bottom of shaft and further inscription on smoothed front face of granite plinth with sloping sides and leaded lettering. Whole on square base. Unveiled by Major Dawson in July 1920. it is currently a Grade II construct rated by Historic England.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicestershire and it became a Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish lies in the East Goscote Wapentake (or Hundred) in the eastern division of the county.
     
  • Halstead township and hamlet was a part of this parish but became its own separate Civil Parish (and has its own profile on Genuki).
     
  • Marefield township and hamlet was a part of this parish but became its own separate Civil Parish (and has its own profile on Genuki).
     
  • Whatborough township and hamlet was a part of this parish but became its own separate Civil Parish in December, 1866 (and has its own profile on Genuki).
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • The Chamberlain charity gave £30 annually to buy bread for the poor of the parish in the 1880s.
     
  • As a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became part of the Billesdon Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard at the Leicester petty sessional hearings. These were later moved to East Norton on the first Friday of each month.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 311
1811 332
1821 417
1831 361
1841 408
1851 410
1881 682
topup

Schools

  • The parish had a National School by 1849.