Hide

Waltham on the Wolds

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"WALTHAM-ON-THE-WOLDS, a village and a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester. The village stands 3¾ miles N by W of Saxby r. station, and 5 NE of Melton-Mowbray; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Melton-Mowbray, and a cattle and horse fair on 18 and 19 Sept. The parish comprises 2,870 acres. Real property, £3,943. Pop, 672. Houses, 136. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. Lime is calcined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £520. Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is cruciform, with central tower and spire; is chiefly decorated English; and has been restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £30."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-1872".

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Roger TEMPLEMAN has a photograph of the Churchyard on the SE side of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2013.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the new Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 588
1861 R.G. 9 / 2304
1871 R.G. 109 / 3297
1891 R.G. 12 / 2546
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene.
     
  • The church construction date is unknown. It appears to be early Norman.
     
  • The church has a central tower surmounted by a lofty spire.
     
  • The church was repewed and restored in 1838.
     
  • The church was restored again in 1877.
     
  • The church seats 450.
     
  • The church steeple was damaged by an earthquake in Februrary, 2008. At last report, it was under repair, but the church was closed during this period.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of St Mary Magdalene Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2008.
     
  • Roger TEMPLEMAN has a photograph of the St Mary Magdalene Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2013.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1564 and is in good condition.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Framland (second portion).
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel built here in 1843.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the new Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Waltham on the Wolds is a parish and a town in the north-east of the county in the Wold Hills. The parish is about 118 miles north of London, 5 miles north-east of Melton Mobray and 11 miles south-west of Grantham in Lincolnshire. The parish covers about 4,100 acres. Lincolnshire forms the eastern border, Saltby parish lies to the north and Stonesby parish to the east.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, from the A607 trunk road, turn east to arrive at Waltham on the Wolds.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013. Perhaps you can make them a more artistic replacement.
     
  • Wait! Someone has already done that! Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the new Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2010.
     
  • There is a private fishing park just south of the village, open to anglers.
     
You can see pictures of Waltham on the Wolds which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Waltham on the Wolds has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The parish had an Agricultural Association hall in the Grecian style, built in 1838, sponsored by the Duke of Rutland.
     
  • Lime was burned here to produce fertilizer.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Marquis of Granby public house on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.
     
  • J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Royal Horseshoes public house on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.
     
  • The village got a new Village Hall in 2004. Kate JEWELL has a photograph of the new village hall on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2008. stop in when it is open and ask to see the schedule of forth-coming events.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK792237 (Lat/Lon: 52.805048, -0.826594), Waltham on the Wolds which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • Gary RADFORD has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2009.  This memorial was dedicated in 2008.
     
  • There is more about this memorial at the Local History site.
     
topup

Military Records

Julian GUFFOGG has a photograph of the Stained glass window dedicated to Sgt. Arthur R. P. Talbott d. 1917 aged 23 on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2018. Sergeant TALBOTT was in the Leicestershire Prince Albert's Own Yeomanry.

topup

Politics & Government

  • The parish was in the Framland Hundred (Wapentake) in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
     
  • This parish was an "ancient parish" of Leicestershire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • In April, 1936, the parish of Waltham on the Wolds was abolished and renamed as Waltham Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 768
1861 672
1871 623
1881 595
1891 547
1901 538
1911 543
1921 484
1931 510
topup

Schools

  • In 1771 Mr. George Noble gave 5 acres of land in Wymondham. This provided £5 a year for the instruction of poor children of the parish.
     
  • The Public Elementary School (National School) was built in 1845 for 130 children.