Hide

Wartnaby

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"WARTNABY, a chapelry in Rothley parish, Leicester; 4½ miles NW of Melton-Mowbray r. station. Post town, Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 640. Real property, £1,224. Pop., 116. Houses, 24. The manor belongs to the trustees of the late Sir J. Parker. W. Hall is the seat of H.Bingham, Esq. The living is annexed to Rothley. The church is good. Charities, £12."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Melton Mowbray sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2301
1871 R.G. 10 / 3295
1891 R.G. 12 / 2544
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Michael and All Angels.
     
  • The church dates from the 13th century.
     
  • The church was thoroughly restored in 1843.
     
  • The church was thoroughly restored again in 1948-50.
     
  • The church seats 80.
     
  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of the Church of St Michael and All Angels on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2006.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Church interior on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1633.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Framland (third division).
     
  • The Baptist chapel was founded in 1780 and erected in 1847.
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1845.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Melton Mowbray sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Wartnaby is a village, a township and a parish which lie about 112 miles north of London and 4 miles northwest of Melton Mobray. The parish covers 749 acres, most of which was pasture for sheep and cattle. Some of the land was used for growing corn and root crops.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A606 motor road northwest out of Melton Mobray, heading for Nottingham.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.
     
You can see pictures of Wartnaby which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Wartnaby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The parish sits on an old Roman Road between Barrow upon Soar and Grantham in Lincolnshire.
     
  • Ironstone was found and lightly mined in this parish.
     
topup

Manors

  • Wartnaby Hall was the seat of Brev.-Major George T. M. BRIDGES in 1912.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK711233 (Lat/Lon: 52.80258, -0.946812), Wartnaby which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • The parish is in the ancient East Goscote Hundred in the mid division of the county.
     
  • Wartnaby parish and township were formed as a parish out of Rothley.
     
  • In 1884, a detached part of this parish was amalgamated with Holywell parish to the east.
     
  • The Ab Kettleby parish council serves the people of this parish and Holwell parish also.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Melton Borough Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 77
1811 80
1821 90
1831 86
1841 107
1851 123
1901 86
1931 99
topup

Schools

  • The children of this parish attended school in Ab Kettleby.