Hide

Welham

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"WELHAM, a parish in Market-Harborough district, Leicester; 2 miles WNW of Medbourne-Bridge r. station, and 4 NE of Market-Harborough. Post town, Market-Harborough. Acres, 1,109. Real property, £2,585. Pop., 65. Houses, 16. The manor belongs to W. W. Tailby, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £240. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was restored in 1869. Charities, £10."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72"

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2251
topup

Church History

  • The Domesday Book records a priest in the parish in 1086.
     
  • There was a church here in 1217.
     
  • The present church building dates back prior to 1600.
     
  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Andrew. It sits on Bowden Lane.
     
  • The church seats 50.
     
  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of the Church tower on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2014.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1695.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Gartree (first portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Welham is a parish and a small village in Leicestershire, on the north side of the River Welland, which separates it from Northamptonshire. It is about 92 miles north of London, 8 miles south-east of Leicester city and 4.5 miles north of Market Harborough. The parish covers just over 1,100 acres.

The village sits in the hills just north-west above the River Welland. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, it is probably easiest to take the B664 arterial road north out of Market Harborough. Turn left at Weston by Welland and continue to Welham.
     
  • There is a photograph of a street in the village at Geograph, showing the Old Red Lion pub at the far end of the road.
     
You can see pictures of Welham which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Welham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The Saddington Reservoir was built between 1793 and 1797. The southern part lies in Welham parish. It was built as a catchment basin for the Grand Union Canal. The reservoir covers about 60 acres.
     
  • The parish was largely used for grazing land.  In 1798 it was reported that over 1,000 acres were in pasturage.
     
topup

Manors

  • The web page author could find no mention of a Manor House or Hall in his sources.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP765924 (Lat/Lon: 52.524115, -0.87389), Welham which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • The place was an ancient parish of Leicester county as well as a Civil Parish.
     
  • The parish is in the ancient Gartree Hundred in the southern division of the county.
     
  • On 25 March, 1885, the parish was enlarged by gaining the Caudwell portion of Thorpe Langton Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • The Common Land was enclosed here between 1601 and 1606.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Harborough petty session hearings held every other Tuesday.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Market Harborough Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1821 74
1841 66
1871 73
1881 68
1891 60
1901 59
1911 61
1921 44
1931 39
2001 40
topup

Schools

  • The children of this parish attended school in Weston-by-Welland in Northamptonshire.