Hide

Withcote

hide
Hide

From John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72"

WITHCOTE, a parish in Billesdon district, Leicester; 4½ miles SW of Oakham r. station. Post town, Oakham. Acres, 777. Real property, £1,168. Pop., 45. Houses, 5. The manor, with W. Hall, belongs to F. Palmer, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £133. Patron, F. Palmer, Esq. The church is of the 15th century.
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Billesdon sub-district of the Billesdon Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 588
1871 R.G. 10 / 3228
1891 R.G. 12 / 2494
topup

Churches

topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church (chapel, actually) had not been dedicated (by 1881).
     
  • The church dates from about 1560, but has no tower or steeple.
     
  • The church seats 80.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of the chapel on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2006.
     
  • The church is now in the Churches Conservation Trust.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1679.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Goscote (first portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Billesdon sub-district of the Billesdon Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Withcote is a village and a parish which lie 96 miles north of London, about 15 miles east of Leicester city and 5 miles southwest of Oakham. The parish borders Rutland County on the east side. The parish covers 747 acres, most of which was pasture for sheep and cattle.

There is no village as such, just a few houses. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, head south-west out of Oakham for about 5 miles. The parish is just south of Cold Overton.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE provides a photograph of the village sign on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007.
     
You can see pictures of Withcote which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Withcote has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Nearly all the land in the parish was used for pasture.
     
  • Sanvey castle used to stand in this parish, but there are no structural remains. Only a mound and moat remained.
     
topup

Manors

  • Withcote Hall lies in a valley. It was the residence of Lieut.-Col. Frederick PALMER, who was lord of the manor, in 1881.
     
  • Stephen POINTER has a photograph of Withcote Hall on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2008.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of WIthcote Lodge just southeast of the village on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK795061 (Lat/Lon: 52.646821, -0.826398), Withcote which are provided by:

topup

Military History

topup

Politics & Government

  • The parish is in the ancient Framland Hundred in the eastern division of the county.
     
  • In April, 1936, the parish of Withcote was enlarged by 1,729 acres with the abolishment of Cold Overton Civil Parish.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Harborough District Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the East Norton petty session hearings the first Friday of each month.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Billesdon Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 52
1811 50
1821 51
1831 32
1841 30
1851 40
1891 44
1901 49
topup

Schools

  • The children of this parish attended school in Knossington parish.