Hide

Woodhouse

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"WOODHOUSE, a township and a chapelry in Barrow-upon-Soar parish Leicester. The township lies 3¾ miles S of Loughborough r. s ion, and contains a village of its own name. Post town, Loughborough. Acres, 2,770. Real property, £5,402. Pop., 1,205. Houses, 283. The manor belongs to W. P. Herrick, Esq. The chapelry is less extensive than the township. Pop., 1,163. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £140. Patron, the Vicar of Barrow-upon-Soar. The church was built in 1338, and restored in 1858. There are an endowed school with £239 a year, and charities £10."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72"].

Hide
topup

Census

  • Woodhouse was in the the Quorndon subdistrict of the Barrow-on-Soar registration district.
     
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 594
1861 R.G. 9 / 2280
1871 R.G. 10 / 3264
1891 R.G. 12 / 2520
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated as Saint Mary in the Elms.
     
  • The church was originally built in 1338.
     
  • The church was partially restored in 1858.
     
  • Timothy GLOVER has a photograph of St. Mary-in-the-Elms Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2017. You can see the War Memorial embedded in the churchyard wall.
     
  • A portion of the township of Woodhouse, including Beaumanor, was created as an ecclesiastical parish in August, 1868.
     
  • The church had a good western tower with a small spire and 6 bells (hung in 1875).
     
  • The church was completely restored in 1878.
     
  • The church seats 180.
     
  • The Anglican church in Woodhouse Eaves was dedicated to St. Paul.
     
  • St. Paul's Church was built in 1837.
     
  • St. Paul's Church was completely restored in 1880.
     
  • The church seats 300.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of St. Paul's Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1624.
     
  • The parish register for St. Paul's dates from 1844.
     
  • Both churches were in the East Akeley deanery.
     
  • The General Baptist chapel in Woodhouse Eaves was founded in 1797.
     
  • The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists both had chapels at Woodhouse Eaves.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
     
  • Woodhouse was in the the Quorndon subdistrict of the Barrow-on-Soar registration district.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Woodhouse is a village, a township and a parish in eastern Leicestershire near the Charnwood Forest. The parish is 3.5 miles south of Loughborough and 9 miles north-west of Leicester city. The parish covers 3,337 acres, but was larger before 1936.

Woodhouse Eaves is a village in the township of Woodhouse.

If you are planning a visit:

  • You may enjoy an afternoon of golf at the nearby Charnwood Forest Golf Club.
     
  • Camping and a caravan park can be found on the north side of the village.
     
  • By automobile, take the A6 trunk road north out of Leicester and turn west (left) at Quorndon onto the B591. Follow that for about a mile into Woodhouse.
     
You can see pictures of Woodhouse which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Woodhouse has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Manors

  • Garats-hay stood on a small hill overlooking the area. In 1912, it was the home of Mrs. William Arthur KING.
     
  • Beaumanor Hall was built in 1842–48 for the HERRICK family. It is now owned by Leicestershire County Council as a training centre, conference centre and residential facility for young people.
     
  • The Nottingham Evening Post for Tuesday 10 April 1923 reports on the marriage at Beaumanor between Dorothy Hastings the cousin of Kathleen the marriage between Dorothy Hastings the cousin of Kathleen Plantagent Hastings and the Queen’s nephew Lord Eltham:
"The bride who was given away by her father wore a cream satin dress with a long trail of orange blossom on the left side, long tight fitting sleeves, train of cloth of gold and Brussels lace veil (heirloom of the bridegroom’s family). She carried a bouquet of deep cream roses and wore a pearl ribbon with a diamond pendant, the gift of the Queen.
"She was attended by two bridesmaids who were attired in powder blue satin, veiled with heavy silver lace, powder blue sleeves and belt of chiffon. They carried arum lilies and wore diamond arrows, the gift of the bridegroom.
"
  • In 1945, Beaumanor Hall was passed to Lt. Col. Assheton Penn Curzon Howe HERRICK. He sold it the next year and the War Office bought both Beaumanor Hall and Garats Hay and some of the immediate surrounding grounds used during the war.
     
  • Mick GARRATT has a photograph of the Clock Tower at Beaumanor Hall on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014.
     
  • Christine MATTHEWS has a photograph of Beaumanor Hall on Geo-graph, taken in August 1986.
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK540155 (Lat/Lon: 52.734448, -1.201709), Woodhouse which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • Beaumanor Hall was used during the Second World War for military intelligence. The Hall was occupied by Number 6 Intelligence school.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the War Memorial outside St. Mary-in-the-Elms Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place became a Civil Parish some time after 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient West Goscote Hundred in the Mid division of the county.
     
  • On 1 April, 1935, this parish was reduced in size by 339 acres to enlarge Loughborough and Quorndon parishes.
     
  • On that same date, the parish was enlarged by 7 acres by the abolishment of Woodthorpe parish.
     
  • One year later, this parish was reduced by 873 acres to enlarge Charley parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Loughborough petty session hearings.
     
  • A small amount of Thomas RAWLINS' charity was used to apprentice young boys from this parish and nearby Quorn.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, Woodhouse became part of the Barrow-upon-Soar Union.
     
  • The parish had four almshouses funded in 1856 by Mary Ann HERRICK and built in 1857 for disabled and infirm tradespeople of the parish.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1871 1,332
1881 1,288
1891 1,370
1901 1,342
1911 1,458
1921 1,603
topup

Schools

  • A Free School was founded here in 1691 by Thomas RAWLINS. This school was later removed to Quorn.
     
  • In 1912 the children of this parish attended school in Woodhouse Eaves.
     
  • A Public Elementary School was built in Woodhouse Eaves in 1843 and enlarged four times.