• The parish was the heart of the Kirton sub-district of the Boston Registration District.
  • We have an extract of a small portion of the 1901 surname index which you are welcome to review or add to.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 606
1861 R.G. 9 / 2331 & 2340
1871 R.G. 10 / 3334
1891 R.G. 12 / 2570

Church History

  • Although there are no surviving Saxon churches in the Fens, there is evidence of a 9th century church at Algarkirk. A booklet on local archeaology is "Beridges, Benefice and Bricks: an Algarkirk Miscellany," by H. Healy, edited by C. J. Sutman, 1994.
  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul.
  • The original Norman church was built late in the 12th century.
  • Some parts of the current structure retain fragments of the earlier Norman church, but the oldest parts are in the tower and the transepts.
  • St. Peter and St. Paul Church was thoroughly restored in 1850-51.
  • The church is a Grade I listed building with British Heritage.
  • The church seats 300.
  • In 1867, a second church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was erected in Algarkirk Fen.
  • There is a photograph of St. Peter and St. Paul's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
  • Here is a photograph St. Peter and St. Paul's Church supplied by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):



Church Records

  • The Anglican parish registers exist from 1561.
  • We have a handful of entries in our parish register extract pop-up text file. Your additions and corrections are welcome.
  • The LFHS has published several indexes for the Holland West Deanery to make your search easier.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Kirton sub-district of the Boston Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Algarkirk is a rural parish near the mouth of the River Welland, 7 miles south-west of Boston, just south of Kirton-in-Holland and north-west of Fosdyke. The parish covers 2,740 acres of rich grazing land, mostly flat fenland, drained by many small canals, principally the Five Towns Drain.

The small village of Algarkirk is actually just outside of Sutterton. It is separated from the bulk of the parish by the A16 trunk road that runs north to Boston. If you are planning a visit:

  • Bicycling and bird watching are popular local pastimes.
  • Take the A16 south out of Boston.
  • Passenger rail service started in 1848 and ceased in September, 1961.
  • For a bus schedule from nearby cities, check our Transport web page.
  • See our touring page for visitor services.
You can see pictures of Algarkirk which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Algarkirk has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • When the Romans came to Lincolnshire, the local tribe was the Coritani.
  • After the Romans left, this area became the northern portion of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia.
  • The Danes came in 870 and scoured the villages and countryside, but in 873 started to settle in the area. They were driven out in 941, but left their names behind in many of the local place names. Seventy years of occupation may have had some impact on the local gene pool, but Danish surnames are rare.
  • Some residents of Algarkirk are identified in the Lay Subsidy of 1334.
  • "The Case is Altered" Public House provided a place to stay or just chat.
  • Individuals' names associated with the Inn in various directories are:
Year Person
1842 -- not listed --
1868 -- not listed --
1872 Joseph HANKS, vict.
1882 Frederick Joseph HANKS, vict.
1885 Frederick Joseph HANKS
1900 Fk. Jsph. HANKS
1913 Jn. Chas. BRETT
1930 Charles William BAXTER
  • The Harrow Inn out in the Fen provided a place to catch up on local news.
  • Individuals' names associated with the Inn in various directories are:
Year Person
1842 John ARMSTRONG, vict.
1872 William ARMSTRONG, vict.
1882 William ARMSTRONG, farmer
1900 -- not listed --
1913 John BASKER
1930 Mrs. Elizabeth PEARSON
  • The Plough Inn out in the Fen provided shelter from the weather and from work. That part of the Fen eventually became Amber Hill parish.
  • Individuals' names associated with the Inn in various directories are:
Year Person
1842 Wm. CLARKE, vict.
1868 Charles SMART
1872 Thomas ESPIN, vict.
1882 John HOUCHER, vict.
1900 -- not listed --
1930 -- not listed --


  • The old manor house here is called Toop's, or Hiptoft Hall.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF291353 (Lat/Lon: 52.899645, -0.082155), Algarkirk which are provided by:


Military Records

John Emerson provides this list of names off the war memorial at Algarkirk:

Name Notes Name Notes
Sgt J. H. ASKEW a Pte G. GOSLING  
L/Cpl A. W. WRIGHT   Pte J. T. HOLMES  
L/Cpl G. E. VINE b Pte S. KITCHEN  

who laid down their lives in the service to their country for the cause of Justice and Liberty in the Great European War 1914-1918 R.I.P.

In grateful memory of the men of Algakirk who gave their lives in the Great War 1939-1945

Name Notes Name Notes
William E. ADDINGTON   Francis J. MEEDS  
Sidney G. EDWARDS   George W. PALMER  


  1. Probably John H. ASKEW, born Algarkirk, LIN, circa 1881.
  2. George Edward VINE, died 10-Sep-1917, age 25, KOYLI, son of John H. and Harriet VINE.
  3. G. W. MOULDS, died 25-Oct-1914, 1st Btn Coldstream Guards.

Australia has a son of Algarkirk who fought in the Korean War on HMAS Sydney.


Names, Geographical

  • The name means "church of a man named Algar". Algar was the Saxon Earl of Mercia who was slain in the neighborhood in a battle with the Danes in 879. His chief mansion was reputed to be at a place called Hill Six-Acres near the center of Algarkirk parish.
    A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
  • The name is pronounced "Aljuhkirk" by the locals. [Simon Meed, 2001].
  • In recent decades, the name has appeared as two words; "Algar Kirk".

Politics & Government


Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Kirton and Skirbeck petty session hearings.
  • In 1625, Sir Thomas MIDDLECOTT's Hospital was founded as a poorhouse for up to ten people of Algarkirk and Fosdyke, and it was sited in Fosdyke parish. In 1842, a resident of this almshouse received 5s. weekly, and each year was given a cauldron of coal and a gown or coat.
  • In 1627, John KNOTT left £1, 2s and 8d. for the poor.
  • In 1630, Richard ROBERTS left 2s and 6d. for the poor.
  • In 1693, Carolus BERIDGE left £2 and 12s. revenue from an acre of land for the poor.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, the parish became part of the Boston Poor Law Union.


Year Inhabitants
1801 517
1831 651
1841 ~660
1871 721
1881 520
1891 469
1911 485
1971 470
1991 438


  • The first school was erected in Algarkirk in 1625, alongside the new church in Algarkirk Fen.
  • A new school was built in 1857-58 to hold up to 150 children.
  • See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.