Hide

Barrowby

hide
Hide
Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Grantham sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
  • After the Poor Law Union was re-organized in 1891, the parish was in the Grantham North sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • The Lincolnshire Family History Society has published surname indexes on fiche or in booklet form for each of these census years under the title "Grantham". Please note that these are SURNAME indexes only, and do not show first names, age or relationships.
Census
Year
Piece No.Piece NumbersLFHS Surname Index
18410438756H.O. 107/615Fiche
18510087732H.O. 107 / 2103Booklet
18610542958R.G. 9 / 2353Fiche
18710839361R.G. 10 / 3362Booklet or Fiche
18811341771R.G. 11 / 3234 
18916097693R.G. 12 / 2583Booklet or Fiche
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints, built in the gothic style.
  • The church was extensively restored in 1852 and an organ chamber added in 1870.
  • The church was further restored in 1889-90.
  • The church seats 360.
  • There is a photograph of All Saints church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2007.
  • Here are two photos of the church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

 

image

 

image
topup

Church Records

  • Anglican Parish registers exist from 1538. Bishop's transcripts exist from 1562 to 1842.
  • Barrowby marriages from 1651-1750 are covered in Boyd's Marriage Index, and from 1790-1837 in Pallot's Marriage Index.
  • Parish registers are on file at the Society of Genealogists, covering 1538 - 1837.
  • The LFHS has published several indexes for the Grantham Deanery to assist in your searches.
  • Those researching the ALLEN/ALLIN surname will want to check our parish register extract. Your additions are welcome.
  • The Independent (later "Free") Methodists had a small chapel here, built in 1840. The Wesleyan Methodists built theirs a few years later. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Grantham sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
  • After the Poor Law Union was re-organized in 1891, the parish was in the Grantham North sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
topup

Description & Travel

This village and parish are just west of Grantham. Harlaxton parish lies to the south, Woolsthorpe and Denton parish to the southwest and Muston, in Leicestershire, lies to the west. The parish covers about 4,400 acres.

The parish also included the hamlet of Casthorpe, which by 1841 consisted of only three farms.

The village of Barrowby is immediately west of the A1 trunk road and south of the A52, and about a mile and a half north of the Grantham and Nottingham Canal. The Foston Beck travels through the western side of the parish and feeds into the Grantham Canal. If you are planning a visit:

  • Take the A1 Motorway to Grantham. This road curves around the west side of Grantham, where it connects to the A52 Trunk Road. Take the A52 west about 1/4 mile and turn south to Barrowby.
  • David HARRIS has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2008. Keep an eye open for it!
  • David DIXON goes him one better with a close-up of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2013.
  • Visit our touring page for more sources.
You can see pictures of Barrowby which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Barrowby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Dr. HURST died here in 1687. He was a famous rector of Barrowby and Leadenham who became chaplain to Charles I. He was "plundered, imprisoned and ejected" due to his loyalty to the king.
  • Check the history of the Wapentake at the Loveden Wapentake website.
topup

Land & Property

  • In 1841, roughly half the parish belonged to the Duke of Devonshire, who was lord of the manor. Sir J. C. THOROLD owned about one-quarter of the land and the rest belonged to the WELBY and other families.
  • In 1872, things hadn't changed much. Roughly half the parish belonged to the Duke of Devonshire, lord of the manor. Sir J. H. THOROLD, baronet, owned about one-quarter of the land and the rest belonged to the WELBY, KELHAM and other families.
  • In 1913, still half the parish belonged to the Duke of Devonshire, still lord of the manor. Sir John H. THOROLD, baronet, owned about one-quarter of the land and the rest belonged to the WELBY and other families.
topup

Manors

  • By 1842, Barrowby Hall had been reduced to a farm house and the surrounding moat drained and filled in.
  • In 1872, the ancient hall was occupied by Mr. Thomas PINDER.
  • Note: There is a Barrowby Hall in Nottinghamshire as well.
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK878365 (Lat/Lon: 52.918753, -0.695611), Barrowby which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • In the church is a large bronze tablet with the names of the men who died in World War I.
  • In 1930 Lt.-Col. Robert C. SWAN resided at Barrowby Grange.
topup

Military Records

From the Barrowby War Memorial (with additional notations), all by Eric WALTERS:

SurnameGiven namesUnitDiedCemeteryNotes
BATESJohn William152 RFA27-Mar-1916St Marie le Havreb
BATTERSBYGeorge193 MGC30-Mar-1918Anzin St Autin BC 
BLACKBOURNEJames W.10 Essex 28-Dec-1918Barkstone St Nicholasc
BLOODWORTHHerbert217 RFA17-Aug-1917Tyne Cot Mem 
BOINTONNorman10 Lincs28-Apr-1917Roeux BCa
BONNETTAlfred Edward2 SLI23-Oct-1918St Souplet BC 
BRYANThomas5 Lincs17-Apr-1917Ste Emile Valley 
BULLOCKJohn William4 Lincs13-Oct-1915Loos Mema
CHILVERSErnest8th S Foresters27-Oct-1915Abbeville Cty 
COYArthur8th Lincs21-Jan-1916Cite Bonjean MC 
DARBYGeorge EdwardS Notts Hussars06-Jul-1916Salonika Anglo-French 
GASCOIGNEAlbert1 Grenadier Guards22-Oct-1916Barrowby All Saints 
GASCOIGNEFrederickHMS Queen Mary31-May-1916Portsmouth Naval Mem 
GREENTom20th Manchesters26-Oct-1918Premont BC 
HEPPENSTALLFrederick Victor7th Lincs20-Feb-1918Rocquigny-Equancourt Rd 
HOLMESAfred Basil4 KOYLI20-Jul-1918Soissons Mem 
HORNSBYRichard L.6 Lincs07-Oct-1915Helles Mem 
KNOWLESTomHM Torpedo Bt 710-Oct-1914Chatham Naval Mem 
MUSSONJohn Francis3rd Coldstream24-Nov-1917Cambrai Mem 
MUSSONThomas Francis1st Scots Gds27-Nov-1917Cambrai Mem 
NORTHThomas James20 RGA08-Mar-1918Lapugnoyd
OGDENCharlesLincs Yeo03-Nov-1915Le Petit Lac Algeriae
PEATMANArthurMGC13-Oct-1915Arras Mem 
SKIPWORTHJohn Patrick255 RFA28-Mar-1918Arras Mem 
SMITHWalter7 Lincs12-Oct-1917Tyne Cot Mem 
SOUTHERNJ.MGC19-Nov-1918Barrowby All Saints 
SOUTHERNT.15 Lancs Fus06-Nov-1918Premont BC 
SWALLOWAlfred Bailey470 RE _ Field Coy21-Mar-1918Arras Mema
TOWERSAlan4 Lincs13-Oct-1915Loos Mem 

Key - on other memorials as follows:

  1. Grantham
  2. Welton
  3. Barkston
  4. Lincoln GPO
  5. Lincoln
topup

Names, Geographical

  • The name derives from the Old Scandinavian berg+by, meaning "village on the hill". It appears as Bergebi in the 1086 Domesday Book. It is presumed that the Vikings founded Barrowby, but that is as yet unproven.
    [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
topup

Names, Personal

  • White's 1842 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ANNIS, ARCHER, ASHWELL, BULLIMORE, DAWN, DICKINSON, DOWNING, EMINSON, FREEMAN, FRIESTON, GARTON, GIBSON, IRELAND, JACKSON, JENKINSON, JOHNSTON, KENDAL, KING, KITTLE, MILLHOUSE, MORRIS, NELSON, PEARSON, PINDER, RICKITT, SAVIDGE, SHARP, SILLS, SMITH, STEPHENSON, TAYLOR, TROLLEY, VINCENT, WALFORD and WALKER.
  • Kelley's 1913 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BLANKLEY, BLOODWORTH, BREWSTER, BRIGGS, BROOKS, BROWNLOW, BURROWS, DOWNING, FOYSTER, GASCOIGNE, GRIFFIN, GRIET, HOMES, HORNSBY, HULL, INGRAM, JARVIS, JUDSON, LYNN, MURGATROID, MUSSON, NATION, NAYLOR, NEWTON, PATMAN, PEARSON, PELL, PINDER, SHARP, SMIS, SMITH, STRANGE, SWALLOW, TATCHELL, TINKLER, WELBY, WIKSON and WOOMER.
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the ancient Loveden Wapentake in the South Kesteven district in the parts of Kesteven. Prior to the 1830s it had been in the Winnibriggs & Threo Wapentake.
  • For today's district governance, contact the South Kesteven District Council.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Spittlegate petty session hearings.
  • Lewis SOMERSALL and Thomas HURST, DD, donated rent-charges of 20 shillings each to go to the poor.
  • Prior to 1842, various donors left £130, the interest to go to poor parishioners.
  • As a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, the parish became part of the Grantham Poor Law Union.
topup

Population

YearInhabitants
1801465
1831697
1841799
1851801
1861862
1871869
1891817
1911861
topup

Schools

  • A new school was first erected here in 1852. A Public Elementary School was erected about 1880 to hold 190 children.
  • For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.