Barton on Humber
The Barton-on-Humber Library is open 6 days a week most weeks:
- Barton-on-Humber Library
- Providence House, Holydike
- Lincolnshire, DN18 5PR
- +44 1652 632245
Bernard SHARP has a photograph of Providence House on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2017.
- Barton Cemetery covers about 8.5 acres and is on Barrow Road. It was consecrated in 1867 and had two mortuary chapels. The cemetery was under the control of a Burial Board and, later, the Urban District Council.
- The parish was in the Barton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- We have a handful of 1901 census surnames in a text file. Your additions are welcome.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1841 H.O. 107 / 627 1861 R.G. 9 / 2404 1871 R.G. 10 / 3437 & 3438 1881 R.G. 11 / 3290 & 3291 1891 R.G. 12 / 2629 & 2630 1901 R.G. 13 / 3108
|Christ Church, New Holland, Church of England|
|St Chad, Barton on Humber, Church of England|
|St Mary the Virgin, Barton on Humber, Church of England|
|St Peter, Barton on Humber, Church of England|
|Barton on Humber, Baptist|
|Barrow Road, Barton on Humber, Cemetery|
|Priestgate, Barton on Humber, Roman Catholic|
|St Augustine, Barton on Humber, Roman Catholic|
- There are two ecclesiastical parishes in the civil parish of Barton: St. Mary and St. Peter.
- This section is now a separate web page having over 5MB of photographs. Click on Church History.
- We have a handful of entries in our St. Mary parish register extract file. Your additions are welcome.
- The Family History Centre has: St. Peter, marriages 1837-1967, burials 1813-1930, on film. There are a few dates skipped.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a burial index for the Yarborough Deanery to make your search easier.
- This parish has, at times, been in the Wraggoe rural deanery of the Stow Archdeaconry.
- The Catholic church, dedicated to St. Augustine, was erected in 1840 and could seat 90.
- Alex MacGREGOR has a photograph of the Jehovah's Witness Hall on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2013.
- The Baptists built a chapel here as early as 1663. The Wesleyan Methodists built one in 1840. There was a Primitive Methodist chapel, also, which was rebuilt in 1862. For information on researching this chapel, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Barton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Barton is both a village, a town and a parish on the south edge of the River Humber, sitting 165 miles north of London, 10 miles northeast of Brigg and 20 miles northwest of Grimsby. Hull lies 6 miles northeast across the River Humber.
If you are planning a visit:
- Take a Virtual Walk first at Barton's homepage.
- Or you can try the competing site at In Barton.
- By automobile, take the A15 trunk road north out of Barnetby le Wold or south out of Hessel in Yorkshire.
- Train service came to Barton in March, 1849. There is still a direct route to Cleethorpe.
- Visit our touring page for more sources.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barton on Humber to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Barton on Humber has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Barton was an ancient market town. Market day was Monday.
- A hiring for servants was held on the Wednesday before May Day.
- Barton had a coastguard station prior to 1882 through at least 1912.
- The parish used to extract 35,000 tons of chalkstone annually.
- The parish also contained a clay suitable for firing to create tiles and local pottery.
- A Temperence Hall was built in 1843.
- Barton was the terminus of a railway branch from New Holland.
- A Police Station was built in 1847.
- The Corn Exchange was built in 1851.
- A Drapery business changed hands in 1862 and was recorded in an advertisement in the Hull Time.
- The Oddfellows' Hall was built in Queen Street in 1866.
- A Literary Institute was formed in 1868, but was not housed in a building until 1874.
- Bernard SHARP has a photograph of the 18th century White Swan Hotel on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2017.
- Bardney Hall is the Manor House.
- Baysgarth Park was formerly the seat of the NELTHORPE family.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA034219 (Lat/Lon: 53.683335, -0.43589), Barton on Humber which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The parish had the Tuberculosis Dispensary & Orthopaedic Clinic on Holy Dyke. I could find no reference to this place in 1913. There was no requirement for archiving patient records. Miss HINCH was the "health visitor" in 1930.
- I Company of the 1st Lincoln Rifle Volunteers was established in 1859. They practiced shooting on the banks of the Humber River and had their drill hall in the old Corn Exchange building. Walter AUSTIN was the Captain in 1882; H. W. MEGGITT was the Lieut.; Wm. MERSOM was the drill instructor.
- William MERSOM, above, was born in Oxfordshire.
- In 1900, I Company of the 1st Volunteer Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment, still had a drill hall in the Market Place. Captain Harold STEPHENSON, commanding; Lieut. A. R. DOVE; Color-Sergt. John BANKS was the drill instructor.
- In 1912, E Company of the 5th Territorial Force Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment, had a drill hall on Butts Road. Captain H. G. WILSON, commanding; Color-Sergt. Arthur Edward GOODLEY was the drill instructor.
- The War Memorial and the name plaques can be seen at the Cemeteries.
From the Barton War Memorial, by John EMERSON (with additional notations). The webpage author has placed these in rough alphabetical order to make them easier to find:
|Adlard||John K.||7||E. Yorks||29 Mar 1918||Bouzincourt Ridge Cem.|
|Alcock||Henry Dixon||1/5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos Memorial|
|Allison||William||8||Lincs||12 Apr 1917||Arras Mem.|
|Alltoft||John R.||29 Apr 1917||a|
|Anderson||Clifford W.||24 Oct 1918||b|
|Arksey||Joseph William||7||E. Yorks||25 Aug 1918||Fienvillers Brit. Cem.|
|Atkinson||Charles||1||Lincs||22 Jul 1917||Duisans Brit. Cem.|
|Balderston||Fred||9||King's RRC||9 Apr 1917||Arras Mem.|
|Barker||Herbert||16||Lancs Fusiliers||1 Apr 1918||Arras Mem.|
|Barker||Robert||1||Dragoons||13 May 1915||Ypres - Menin Gate|
|Barker||William||Coldstream Gds||1 Sep 1914||Villers Cotterets Forest|
|Barley||John Edward||HMW Blackwhale||3 Jan 1918||Chatham Naval Mem.|
|Barley||William Herbert||1/5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos Mem.|
|Bate||Thomas Henry||HMS Hogue||22 Sep 1914||Chtham Naval Mem.||c|
|Blythe||Walter Ernest||50||Machine Gun Corps||27 May 1918||Soissons|
|Boyd||Joseph||13 Nov 1916||b|
|Brown||Walter||12||Royal Fusiliers||22 Mar 1917||Bully-Grenay Communal|
|Burgess||Harry||8||Lincs||29 Sept 1915||Loos Mem.|
|Burgess||Laurence||10||West Yorks||1 Jul 1916||Fricourt New Military|
|Cant||John Morris||16||Sherwood Foresters||22 Sep 1917||Tyne Cot Mem.|
|Chafer||George W.||1/5||Northumberland||27 May 1918||La Ville-Aux-Bois Brit. Cem.|
|Chappell||Percy||27 Oct 1916||b|
|Clapson||William H.||6||Lincs||16 Aug 1917||New Irish Farm Cem.|
|Clarke||Joseph Ellerby||8||Lancs||13 Apr 1918||Ploegsteert Mem.|
|Clayton||Harry||13 Oct 1915||a|
|Clayton||Percy||2||Yorks Light Inf.||1 Aug 1917||Valenciennes Com. Cem.|
|Clewlow||Thomas||23 Apr 1918||a|
|Clipson||George||1/5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos Mem.|
|Clipson||James William||71||RFA||16 Nov 1918||Terlincthun Brit. Cem.|
|Clipson||William E.||21 Mar 1917||b|
|Cook||Herbert||1/5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos Mem.|
|Coopland||John William||5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos Mem.|
|Coulam||Harold||10||Lincs||20 Sep 1917||Jeancourt Communal Cem.|
|Coulam||Herbert||9||Sherwood Foresters||8 Aug 1916||Arras|
|Coulam||Herbert||22||Durham Light Inf.||7 Apr 1918||Poziers Mem.|
|Cox||Charles||1||Royal Lancs||23 Oct 1916||Thiepval Mem.|
|Cox||Charles||28 Sep 1918||b|
|Cox||Frank||11||E. Yorks||27 Jun 1916||Mesnil-Martinsart|
|Cox||John Edward||8||Lincs||26 Apr 1917||Arras Mem.|
|Cox||Wilfred H. M. North||2 Mar 1916||b|
|Credland||Harold||HMS Doon||17 Dec 1914||South Shields (Harton) Cem.|
|Curtis||Fred||1/5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos Memorial|
|Curtis||George Henry||HMS Victory||23 Jan 1917||Haslar Royal Navy Cem.|
|Danson||Frank||11||E, Yorks||28 Jun 1918||Aval Wood Military Cem.|
|Dent||Percy||6||Yorks||23 Mar 1917||Varennes Military Cem.|
|Dewey||Donovan||1||Lincs||22 Oct 1918||Berlin South Western Cem.|
|Dewey||George||29 Apr 1916||a|
|Dickinson||Horace||1/5||Lincs||3 Jul 1917||Noeus-les-Mines Com. Cem.|
|Dinsdale||Walter||1/5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos Mem.|
|Dixon||George||3||Coldstream Grds||20 Sep 1914||Soupir Churchyard|
|Doughty||Frederick||2/5||W. Yorks||20 Jul 1918||Soissons Mem.|
|Doughty||Harry||5||Canadian Inf.||15 Aug 1917||Longueval, London Cem.|
|Elm||Charles H.||2||Lincs||27 Oct 1918||Niederzwehren Cem.|
|Everitt||Arthur E.||1||Sherwood Foresters||25 Mar 1918||Poziers|
|Farmery||Charles Henry||1/5||Leics||10 Jan 1917||Bienvillers Mil. Cem.|
|Field||George||1/5||Lincs||20 Apr 1917||Arras|
|Foster||Oswald||12||Glouchester||10 Oct 1917||Tyne Cot|
|Franklin||Charles||58||Machine Gun Corps||24 Apr 1918||Poziers|
|Franklin||Edward||1/5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos Mem.|
|Franklin||Harry||1/5||Lincs||2 Jul 1916||Thiepval|
|Gadie||Fred||5||Lincs||5 Jun 1917||Metz-en-Couture Com. Cem.|
|Gearey||Albert E.||8||Sherwood Foresters||17 Oct 1918||Fresnoy-le-Grand Com. Cem.|
|Gilfoy||George||5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos|
|Gilfoy||Harold||1/5||Lincs||3 Apr 1916||Arras|
|Gilfoy||Herbert||59||Australian Inf.||26 Jul 1916||Calais Southern Cem.|
|Glover||Arthur B.||6||E. Yorks||21 Aug 1917||No Man's Cot Cem.|
|Godthorpe||Wilfred G.||20 Sep 1918||a|
|Goldthorpe||Charles L.||6||Lincs||28 Sep 1916||Thiepval Mem.|
|Goldthorpe||George F.||25 Sep 1915||a|
|Goldthorpe||George F.||14 May 1918||a|
|Goodson||George E.||11||E. Yorks||8 Nov 1917||Arras|
|Grassby||Oliver||7||E. Yorks||11 Oct 1918||Montay-Neuvilly Road Cem.|
|Green||Alfred||2 Jul 1915||b|
|Green||John William||HMPMS "Jupiter II"||23 May 1918||Barton on Humber New Cem.|
|Grimbleby||Ernest||2/5||W. Yorks||20 Jul 1918||Soissons Mem.|
|Hall||Charles E.||29 Sep 1918||b|
|Hardy||Ernest||9 Apr 1917||a|
|Hare||William Ernest||8||E. Yorks||13 Nov 1916||Serre Road Cemetery|
|Harrold||George Philmore||10||Yorks and Lancs||1 Jul 1916||Thiepval Mem.|
|Havercroft||Ernest||2||Machine Gun Corps||10 Jun 1918||Doullens Communal Cem.|
|Hewitt||Gerald||64||RFA||27 Oct 1917||Nine Elms Brit. Cem.|
|Hildyard||Albert L.||15 Apr 1918||a|
|Hill||Ernest||10 Jul 1917||a|
|Hill||Harold||1/8||W. Yorks||9 Oct 1917||Tyne Cot|
|Holland||Herbert||5||Lincs||10 Jan 1917||Roughton Churchyard|
|Hoodless||Fred||11||Northumberland Fus.||21 Sep 1917||Hodge Crater Cem.|
|Hope||Samuel Richard||5||Lincs||23 May 1915||Manchester Southern Cem.|
|Howell||Harry||13||E. Yorks||16 May 1917||St. Catharine Brit. Cem.|
|Howson||William A.||1||E. Yorks||1 Jul 1916||Thiepval Mem.|
|Hunt||Harry||9||Ryl. Engineers||13 Dec 1914||Strand Mil. Cem.|
|Hunt||John P.||49||Australian Inf.||4 Oct 1917||Wimereux Communal Cem.|
|Hunt||Reginald||10||E. Yorks||29 Sep 1918||Underhill Farm Cem.|
|Jubb||John Thomas||1/5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos|
|Justice||Herbert J.||Labour Corps||Lincs||10 May 1918||Barton on Humber New Cem.|
|King||Sidney||8||Lincs||29 Apr 1917||Arras|
|Kirk||John W.||11||E. Yorks||27 Mar 1918||Arras|
|Kirk||Tom||HMW "Blackwhale"||3 Jan 1918||Chatham Naval Mem.|
|Lawtey||Robert Wood||7||Ryl West Surrey||10 Aug 1917||Menin Gate Mem.|
|Leaman||Walter||14 Sep 1914||a|
|Ling||William Regnald||11||E. Yorks||3 May 1917||Arras Mem.|
|Long||William||1/4||E. Yorks||2 Mar 1917||Bray Mil. Cem.|
|Lyon||Harold Norman||20||Northumberland Fus.||25 Oct 1917||Tyne Cot|
|Lyon||Laurence Hellerby||251||RFA||14 Aug 1917||London Cem., Neuville-Vitasse|
|Matthews||Herbert Lancelot||HD Drifter "Ocean Star"||26 Sep 1917||Chatham Naval Mem,|
|Mills||William H.||12 Sep 1916||a|
|Milson||Arthur||6||Lincs||8 Sep 1917||Mont Huon Mil. Cem.|
|Milson||Harold||2/5||West Riding||6 Nov 1918||Fontaine-au-Bois Communal|
|Moor||Christopher||6 Aug 1915||b|
|Mumby||William E.||17 Oct 1918||b|
|Newbown||Thomas E.||7||E. Yorks||7 Nov 1916||Thiepval|
|Newbown||Walter||10||W. Yorks||23 Apr 1917||Arras|
|Newton||James||1/4||E. Yorks||14 Jul 1916||Menin Gate|
|Nicholson||Fred||5||Lincs||3 Nov 1915||Le Treport Mil. Cem.|
|Norris||Robert||1||Lincs||21 Mar 1918||Poziers Mem.|
|Oldridge||Arthur||6||Yorks||20 Oct 1918||Mendinghem Mil. Cem.|
|Osgerby||Joseph||2/5||Lincs||19 Feb 1918||Mory Abbey Mil. Cem.|
|Osgerby||Joseph||18 Mar 1918||a|
|Osgerby||Thomas||190||RFA||5 Oct 1917||The Huts Cem.|
|Parker||Walter||13||E. Yorks||13 Nov 1916||Thiepval Mem.|
|Parks||Harry||2||Lincs||10 Mar 1915||Le Touret Mem.|
|Peck||Charles Henry||6||Lincs||7 Dec 1917||Noeux-les-Mines Communal Cem.|
|Peck||Harold Grassby||2/5||Lincs||26 Sep 1917||Tyne Cot Mem.|
|Pickard||Herbert||1/5||Lincs||4 Jul 1917||Calais Southern||d|
|Pickard||Robert Herbert||1/5||Lincs||26 Jun 1917||Arras|
|Pickard||Walter||1/5||Lincs||19 Mar 1918||Cambrin Mil. Cem.|
|Plaskitt||Charles William||7||Lincs||12 Oct 1917||Tyne Cot Mem.|
|Proctor||George||27 Oct 1917||d|
|Proctor||Thomas||1/5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos|
|Richardson||Edmund||HM Trawler "Waltham"||10 Oct 1917||Chatham Naval Mem.|
|Robinson||Edward||1||Lincs||1 Nov 1914||Menin Gate Mem.|
|Robinson||Edwin||7||Lincs||12 Jan 1917||Thiepval|
|Robinson||Thomas J.||9 Nov 1916||a|
|Seddon||Harry||1/5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos|
|Sellars||Arthur Herbert||2/6||South Staffs||27 Apr 1917||La Chapelette Brit. Cem., Perronne|
|Smith||Frederick||6||Lincs||1 Oct 1915||Helles Mem.|
|Smith||Walter W.||1/5||E. Yorks||18 Aug 1916||Thiepval Mem.|
|Smith||Herbert||1/5||Lincs||20 Jul 1916||Warlincourt Halte Brit. Cem.|
|Sobey||James Walter||7||Lincs||12 Oct 1917||Tyne Cot|
|Sparks||Ernest||2||Ryl Warwicks||13 May 1917||Arras|
|Spearey||Frederick William||HMS "Cressy"||22 Sep 1914||Chatham Naval Mem.|
|Stow||Charles William||423||Ryl. Engineers||28 Sep 1917||Tyne Cot|
|Stow||Frederick G.||7||Lincs||6 Oct 1918||Terlingthun Brit. Cem.|
|Taylor||Arthur||8||W. Yorks||27 Sep 1918||Orival WOod Cem.|
|Taylor||George Robert M.S.||295||RFA||30 Sep 1917||Mendinghem Mil. Cem.|
|Taylor||Gilbert||1 Jul 1916||b|
|Thompson||George William||1/5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos|
|Thompson||John R.||2/4||Leics||16 Apr 1918||Bandighem Mil. Cem.|
|Thompson||John Wm. Morwood||HM Trawlwer "Yucca"||24 May 1918||Chatham Naval Mem.|
|Todd||Harry Rupert||10||E. Yorks||14 Jan 1917||Hull Western Cem.|
|Tonks||George Alexander||1/5||Lincs||13 Oct 1915||Loos|
|Ward||John Wilkin||HM Trawler "Epworth"||22 May 1917||Chatham Navel Mem.||d|
|Welton||Edwin||196||Machine Gun Corps||11 May 1918||Conde-Sur-L'escaut Com. Cem.|
|Welton||Tom||2/5||W. Yorks||20 Jul 1918||Soissons|
|West||Arthur||7||Lincs||18 Sep 1918||Vis-en-Artois Mem.|
|West||Horace||7||Yorks Light Inf.||16 Aug 1917||Tyne Cot|
|Whitaker||Alfred E.||7||Lincs||12 Mar 1916||Etaples Mil. Cem.|
|Wiles||Theodore||HMS "Invincible"||31 May 1916||Portsmouth Naval Mem.||e|
|Wilson||Herbert Alexander||8||Royal Fusiliers||9 Apr 1917||Gourock Trench Cem.|
|Windle||George William||8||Lincs||20 Apr 1917||Arras|
|Wood||Harry||2/5||Lincs||26 Sep 1917||Tyne Cot|
|Wood||Richard Hammond||2/5||West Riding||27 Nov 1917||Etaples Mil. Cem.|
|Wood||William G.||12 Apr 1918||b|
|Woodcock||Alfred T.||4||E. Yorks||4 Jun 1918||Cologne Southern Cem.|
|Wright||Freeman||12||E. Yorks||13 Nov 1916||Euston Road Cem., COlincamps|
Key to Notes:
- Not found in CWGC database.
- Not enough info. to research.
- "Best guess" given available data.
- Date of death in CWGC database doesn't match original source.
- Battle of Jutland
World War 2:
To keep in lasting remembrance the Barton men & women, who in the 1939-1945 war, died that England might live. Their names are here recorded, and three new bells are placed in St. Mary's steeple.
|Adlard||Harry||1||Northamptons||15 Apr 1944||Imphal War Cem.|
|Barraclough||Leonard Henry||201||RAF||21 Aug 1941||Runnymead Mem.|
|Barton||Fred||2||Lincs||Cambes-en-Plaine War Cem.|
|Birks||Arthur||1/7||West Surrey||29 Oct 1944||Bergen-op-Zoom War Cem.|
|Brooks||Dorothy Margaret||London Aux. Amb. Svc.||9 Sep 1940||Holborn, Metropolitan Borough|
|Cammack||Leonard Arthur||5||Grenadier Grds||13 Jul 1944||Foiano Della Chiana War Cem.|
|Chant||William Edward||3||Coldstream Grds||11 Sep 1943||Salerno War Cem.|
|Chafer||Cecil||67||Ryl. Artillery||13 Aug 1944||Barton New Cem.|
|Chafer||Harry||Ryl. Army Service corps||24 Dec 1942||Barton New Cem.|
|Chapman||George Arthur||HM Trawler "Tervani"||7 Feb 1943||Lowestoft Naval Mem.|
|Codd||Archibald||No. Irish Horse||Ryl Armoured Corps||23 May 1944||Cassino War Cem.|
|Cressey||Leslie G.||156||Ryl. Artillery||23 Jan 1944||Minturno War Cem.|
|Drury||James Francis Cyril||4||Lincs||4 Jul 1940||Akureyri Cem.|
|Franklin||Percy||122||Ryl. Artillery||21 Sep 1944||Singapore Mem.|
|French||Timothy James Carlile||125||RAF||16 May 1942||Malta Naval Cem.|
|Goddard||James Walter||106||RAF Vol.||22 Aug 1941||Durnbach War Cem.|
|Gowshall||James Henry||SS "Empire Sky"||6 Nov 1942||Tower Hill Mem|
|Grimbleby||Clarence||HMS "Dulverton"||13 Nov 1943||Chatham Naval Mem.|
|Hudson||Richard Taylor Anthony||199||RAF||28 May 1943||Reichswald Forest War Cem.|
|Kerridge||Herbert||HMS "Hood"||24 May 1941||Portsmouth Naval Mem.|
|Lacey||Ernest A.||55||Ryl. Artillery||16 Apr 1944||Rangoon Mem.|
|Lakeman||Maurice William||282||Ryl Artillery||18 Sep 1940||Gloucester Old Cem.|
|Langley||Joseph||Ryl. Army Svc. Corps||16 Dec 1944||Schoonselhof Cem.|
|Newbitt||William Ernest||HMS "Delhi"||16 Apr 1941||King Tom, Freetown Cem.|
|Nowell||Gilbert Hugh||HMS "Phoenix"||21 Jul 1940||Portsmouth Naval Mem.|
|Rowntree||Horace||11||Ryl. Horse Artillery||29 May 1942||Knightsbridge War Cem.|
|Seddon||Albert Edward||HMS "Penelope"||18 Feb 1944||Portsmouth Naval Mem,|
|Snelling||Archibald Reginald||HMS "Harvester"||11 Mar 1943||Chatham Naval Mem.|
|Storey||Arthur William||Ryl. Armoured Corps||16 Sep 1943||Cassino Mem.|
|Towle||Wilfred||HMS "Acheron"||17 Dec 1940||Portsmouth Naval Mem.|
|Watkin||Ralph||180||RAF||22 Jan 1943||Runnymead|
|West||James||7||Royal Artillery||18 Apr 1941||Athens Mem.|
|Windle||Edmund Harold||HMS "Bideford"||27 Feb 1943||Barton on Humber New Cemetery|
Key to Notes:
- Not found in CWGC database.
- Not enough info. to research.
One man who is missing from the memorial:
|Donner||Frank Victor||1st Btn.||Lincs||8 Dec 1916||Barton on Humber|
He was the husband of Jennie Donner, of 19, Priestgate, Barton.
- In the 1086 Domesday book, the village is given as Bereton.
- Locals pronounce the name as Bartun on Umber.
- The principal newspaper serving the town was the Hull and Lincolnshire Times, published on Saturdays.
- The Barton Times, published on Fridays in Grimsby appears to have ceased publication before World War One.
- See our Newspapers web page for more on local newspapers.
- Both St. Mary's parish and St. Peter's parish were ancient parishes in Lincoln county and became modern Civil Parishes when those were established.
- On 25 March, 1887, the two parishes of St. Mary and St. Peter were amalgamated and to be known as Barton-upon-Humber.
- The parish was in the north division of the ancient Yarborough Wapentake in the Glanford district in the parts of Lindsey.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Barton-on-Humber petty session hearings every other Monday at the police court.
- The enclosure of the Common Lands took place here in 1803.
- The Town Houses belonged to the poor since time immemorial. They were located at the Ferry.
- The parish had a number of small charities which contributed to supporting the parish poor.
- In 1669, Thomas HOLLAND left an almshouse for four poor widows.
- In 1679, John TRIPP bequeathed some lands here and directed that the proceeds be distributed yearly as blue clothing among poor men and women. (A so-called "Blue Coat" charity.)
- In 1701, Christopher BENTON left Chantry House in Barton as an almhouse for the poor, but it was converted into a workhouse in 1749. In 1878 it was sold and the profits applied toward various parish charities.
- In 1729, Mrs. Magdalene GEORGE bequeathed some lands here and directed that the proceeds be distributed yearly as grey cloth among poor men and women.
- In 1830, Mrs. Alice INGLE left the interest on £300 which was distributed monthly as bread.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became part of the Glanford Brigg Poor Law Union.
- In 1861, J. Gilby UPPLEBY, of Leeds, left £200 for distribution amongst the poor householders.
- There is a photograph of some Barton almshouses at the Images of England website.
Where only one figure is given, it is for the entire civil parish.
Year St. Mary St. Peter 1801 674 1,035 1811 2,204 1831 1,704 1,529 1871 2,374 1,958 1881 5,319 1891 5,201 1901 5,671 1911 1,602 Unk. 2001 9,485
Ros DUNNING provides a transcript of the will of LEVI, Isaac of Barton on Humber.
- A National School (for boys, girls and infants) was built in 1844-45 in Queen Street and enlarged in 1879.
- The Green School (for boys) was formerly the Grammar School.
- The Infants School was built near the church in 1895-6.
- The Wesleyan School, on Maltby Lane, was built in 1866. The school closed in 1915.
- Bernard SHARP has a photograph of the Maltby Lane School on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2017.
- The Catholic School was built in 1878 in Fleetgate.
- St. Chad's School, on Waterside Road, opened in 1905.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.