Castle Carlton



  • The parish was in the Saltfleet sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 630
1851 H.O. 107 / 2112
1861 R.G. 9 / 2385
1871 R.G. 10 / 3407
1891 R.G. 12 / 2610

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to the Holy Cross.
  • Holy Cross Church was built on the site of an earlier structure.
  • The church was entirely demolished in 1902.
  • This tiny church only seated 40.
  • The Diocese of Lincoln declared Holy Cross Church redundant in April, 1983. In 1982 the church was partially demolished and the site used to expand the churchyard.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1571.
  • Holy Cross Church is in the Louthesk Deanery for which indexes exist from the Lincolnshire FHS.
  • The Lincs Archives holds the following registers for Castle Carlton: Chr. 1571-1913; Mar. 1571-1876; Bur. 1571-1886,1940; BTs 1565-1812; 1817-1820.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Saltfleet sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.

Description and Travel

This village, township and parish are about 5 miles south-east of Louth. It covered only 471 acres (note: boundaries have changed over time).

  • By automobile, take the road from Louth to Alford (the B1373 secondary road). The parish is between Little Carlton and Great Carlton, just north off of the A157 road.
  • There is not much of a village here. Visit our touring page for more sources.
  • Richard CROFT provides a photograph of some of the local residents keeping a watchful eye out, taken in 2007.
You can see pictures of Castle Carlton which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Castle Carlton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • Tradition holds that this parish was the head of the barony of Sir Hugh BARDE (or BARDOLPH) in the reign of Herny I. Sir Hugh's castle is reputed to have stood on three artificial hills near the church.
  • This was a small, crop-growing parish.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF397837 (Lat/Lon: 53.331591, 0.097075), Castle Carlton which are provided by:


Politics and Government

  • This place is considered an ancient parish of Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the Marsh division of the ancient Calceworth Wapentake in the East Lindsey district and in the parts of Lindsey.
  • "Castle Carlton" was abolished as a Civil Parish on 1 April, 1936, and all 471 acres were absorbed by nearby South Reston Civil Parish.
  • For today's district governance, see the East Lindsey District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law, etc.

  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became part of the Louth Poor Law Union.
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Louth petty session hearings.


Year Inhabitants
1801 46
1831 54
1871 32
1881 21
1891 27
1901 20
1911 29
1921 29
1931 23


  • The children of this parish attended school in South Reston.
  • For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.