• The parish was in the North East sub-district of the Lincoln Registration District.
  • The North Lincolnshire Library holds a copy of the parish census returns for 1841.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 635
1861 R.G. 9 / 2363
1871 R.G. 10 / 3375
1891 R.G. 12 / 2596

Church History

  • The Anglican Church here, dedicated to St. George, is more properly called a chapel. It is a small red brick building.
  • By 1900, the church had been converted to use only as a mortuary chapel.
  • This church was declared redundant by the Diocese of Lincoln in November, 1976.
  • The church is now in the Churches Conservation Trust. Tours are provided Saturday and Sunday from 10.00 until 17.00.
  • A booklet about the parish church is available at the Visit Churches Org. site for £1.
  • Here are two photographs of St. George Church taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):





Church Records

  • Parish register entries start in 1672 and include Bullington, but Bishop's transcripts appear to go back to 1638.
  • Parish registers are on file at the Society of Genealogists, covering marriages 1754 - 1882, baptisms 1672 - 1924 and burials 1672 - 1940.
  • Burial register entries for St. George (1813-1900) are included in the National Burial Index (NBI).
  • The LFHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Horncastle Deanery to make your search easier.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the North East sub-district of the Lincoln Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Goltho is a parish about 10 miles northeast of Lincoln and 2 miles southwest of Wragby. Wragby parish lies to the east, Rand parish to the north and Apley parish to the south. It is described in White's 1842 Lincolnshire Directory as "a parish of scattered farms." The parish covered about 1,360 acres in 1842. Ecclesiastically, the parish was united with Bullington to form one tithe-free parish in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Lincoln. Together, the two parishes covered about 2,540 acres.

The parish is skirted on the north side by the A158 trunk road as it passes between Lincoln and Horncastle. If you are planning a visit:

You can see pictures of Goltho which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Goltho has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • "Medieval Clay-land Village: Excavations at Goltho and Barton Blount," G.T.M. Beresford, Society for Medieval Archaeology Monograph No. 6, 1975, Price : £6.00 / $9.00.

Land & Property

  • In 1842, the sole landowner was C. MAINWARING.
  • In 1872 and 1882, the sole landowner was William Fitzwilliam BURTON.
  • In 1900 and 1913, the sole landowner was William Fitzwilliam BURTON, Jnr.


  • Goltho Hall, torn down long before 1842, was the ancestral seat of the GRANTHAM family, who sold the estate to the MAINWARING family.
  • Goltho Hall was rebuilt around 1875, near the site of the old hall.
  • The manor here is mentioned in "Anglo-Norman Studies IV, Proceedings of the Battle Conference 1981," Edited by R. Allen Brown, Origins of the Justiciarship; Goltho Manor; Gesta Guillelmi, 247 pages, ISBN: 0-85115-161-2, 1990, Boydell Press, Price: 75.00 USD / 45.00 GBP.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF110772 (Lat/Lon: 53.279995, -0.335941), Goltho which are provided by:


Military Records

There is no war memorial at Goltho, but in the churchyard there is a single gravestone for a WWI casualty. To see it and the name on it, see the Roll of Honour site.


Names, Geographical

  • The name origin is uncertain, perhaps from an Old Scandinavian (Viking) first name or the Viking word for "ravine".

Names, Personal

  • White's 1842 Directory lists the following names in the parish: Thomas ARNOLD, Wm. BARTHOLOMEW, John BETTS, Wm. BETTS, Jane CARTER, Thos. HILL, Henry LISTER, Wm. PACEY, Wm. Robinson, Mary SCOTT, John SPENCER and John WHITLEY.
  • White's 1872 Directory lists the following names in the parish: John BETT, Mrs. Mary BYRON, Charles PACEY, Robert SMITH and John WEIGHTMAN.
  • White's 1882 Directory lists the following names in the parish: John BETT, William Fitzwilliam BURTON, Mrs. Mary BYRON, Frederick COLE, Prior Fry JACKMAN, George LAMB and Charles PACEY.
  • Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following names in the parish: William Fitzwilliam BURTON, Jnr., Frederick CREASY, Edward HEBB, Prior Fry JACKMAN, George LAMB, John William STEPHENSON and Joseph STEPHENSON.
  • Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following names in the parish: William ATKINSON, Charles BRUNTLETT, William Fitzwilliam BURTON, Jnr., Edward HEBB, Prior Fry JACKMAN, George LIMONB, Wm. Fras. MAWER, Arthur James RUTLAND and John William STEPHENSON.

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the ancient Wraggoe Wapentake in the West Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
  • Today's district governance is provided by the West Lindsey District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Wragby petty session hearings on the first Thursday of every month.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Lincoln Poor Law Union.


Year Inhabitants
1801 137
1821 140
1831 143
1841 159
1851 159
1871 157
1881 106
1891 113
1911 105
1991 64


  • The children of Goltho attend school at Wragby.
  • For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.