This village and parish are on the south side of the Humber River, just across the river from Kingston Upon Hull. Five miles to the east is Barton upon Humber and four miles to the south is the village of Ulceby. About six miles to the south is the Humberside International Airport.
Goxhill is a fair-sized parish, covering 5860 acres of land, more or less, and it includes the hamlet of Littleworth about a mile east of the village, where the remains of Goxhill Priory (established circa 1185) can be found, and the little hamlet of Goxhill Ferry near the river. The Skitter Sand silt bed sits on the river bank where the river turns from an easterly flow to a southeasterly run. The land is low and sometimes marshy, but the soil is rich and fertile.
If you are planning a visit:
- Goxhill can be reached off the A1077 trunk road either off of the A15 or the A160 main roads.
- For folks on holiday, there is camping and a caravan park west of the village.
- The Glengarth Hotel at South End provides nice accomodations, described as a "19th century Lincolnshire farmhouse surrounded by beautiful countryside within easy walking distance of the Humber River."
- Goxhill also offers bird watching, bicycling, hiking and watching the other tourists for entertainment.
- Ancient clay pits (Dawson City Clay Pits at Grid Ref. TA1325) near Goxhill are part of the Lincolnshire Trust.
- There is an old railway line leading to an abandoned World War Two airfield once used by the US Air Force.
- Goxhill is a horse lover's paradise and reputedly has more horses than people.
- Goxhill also has a "Summer Fayre" in July, a popular horse show and gymkhana, but the precise date must be obtained from the tourism board.
- The Goxhill Gander is a free magazine provided to locals with a lot of useful information. Use the website to find out more information.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
You can see pictures of Goxhill which are provided by:
You can see the
administrative areas in which Goxhill has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA103214 (Lat/Lon: 53.677646, -0.332251), Goxhill which are provided by: