Archives & Libraries

  • Stamford Library
  • High Street
  • Stamford, Lincs, PE9 2BB
  • Tele: 01780 763442


  • The parish was in the Barnack sub-district of the Stamford Registration District.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 618
1851 H.O. 107 / 2094
1861 R.G. 9 / 2314
1871 R.G. 10 / 3310
1881 R.G.11 / 3194
1891 R.G. 12 / 2554

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Thomas a Becket.
  • The church was built in the Early English period and has a tower with four bells.
  • The church was restored in 1854.
  • The church seats 229.
  • There was a Chapel of Ease at Wilsthorpe.
  • There is a photograph of St. Thomas' a Becket Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Thomas a Becket Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2013.
  • Here is a photo of St. Thomas's church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):



Church Records

  • Greatford parish registers exist from 1754, but I.G.I. entries from Bishop's transcripts go back to 1562.
  • The LFHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Aveland and Ness Deanery to make your search easier.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Barnack sub-district of the Stamford Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which started in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Greatford is both a village and parish 92 miles north of London, 5 miles north-east of Stamford and almost 5 miles north-west of Market Deeping. The parish is bounded on the south by Barholm & Stowe parish and on the north-west by Braceborough parish. The parish covered 1,365 acres in the 1800s and included Wilsthorpe township.

Greatford village is a small place on the River Glen. If you are planning a visit:

  • Take the A16 trunk road east out of Stamford and turn north at Tallington.
  • Check out local bus service from Stamford at the Carlberry Bus Service site for schedules and routes.
  • Visit our touring page for more sources.



Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Greatford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • A village hall was built here in 1910.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the 1936 Coronation Crown stonework on Geo-graph, taken in 2008.
  • Bill DUNNAKEY has a photograph of the Hare and Hounds Pub on Geo-graph, taken in 2006.
  • Here are the proprietors of The Hare and Hounds shown in various Directories:
Year Person
1842 George GILBERT, butcher
1868 Edward PICKERING
1872 Edward PICKERING, vict.
1882 Mrs. Mary PICKERING, vict.
1900 John Josaeph KIRK, wheelwright
1913 Bavin SIMS
1919 Edward STARKIE
1930 Regnld. Geo. SIMPKINS

In the 1881 census, Mary PICKERING is 48 years old, born in Greatford, LIN. married.



  • Greatford Hall stands a little west of the parish church.
  • In the late 1700s, Greatford Hall was operated as a private lunatic asylum by Dr. WILLIS. That establishment was later moved to Shillingthorpe.
  • In 1882, Greatford Hall was the property of Lord CHESHAM, occupied by C. G. PEACOCK.
  • In 1930, Greatford Hall was the residence of Major C. C. L. FITZWILLIAMS.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF086119 (Lat/Lon: 52.693902, -0.39454), Greatford which are provided by:


Military History

  • For a photograph of the Greatford War Memorial in the church, see the Parish Council site and click on "Roll of Honour".

Military Records

For the list of the names on the Roll of Honour, see the Parish Council site and click on "Roll of Honour".

You can also visit the Roll of Honour site.


Names, Geographical

  • The name Greatford is from the Old English Greot+ford, or "Gravelly ford", based on the fact that the village is bisected by an arm of the West River Glen. In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Griteford".
    A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.

Politics & Government


Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases were heard in the Bourne petty session hearings held on Mondays.
  • Charles YEOMANS left a bequest or £80 to help pay the rector for sermons and for the poor of this parish.
  • The Rev. Peter LAFARGUE, in 1802, left a bequest of £50, the interest to go to the poor.
  • Dr. WILLIS, in 1807, left a bequest of £100, the interest to go to the poor.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Stamford Poor Law Union.


Year Inhabitants
1801 320
1831 296
1841 264
1851 271
1871 213
1881 301
1891 182
1911 188


  • A National School was originally held in a room here, then enlarged circa 1878. It was attended at that time by about 70 children.
  • For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.