Archives & Libraries

The Community Library at Alford has a local history archive that will prove useful in your research.



  • The parish was in the Burgh sub-district of the Spilsby Registration District.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • For the 1891 census, the FHL fiche is 6097714 (3 fiche).
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 637
1861 R.G. 9 / 2376
1871 R.G. 10 / 3393B & 3394
1891 R.G. 12 / 2064

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
  • The church was originally built in 1393.
  • There is a photograph of St. Mary's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON web site.
  • Richard CROFT has a nice photograph of the church tower on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2009.
  • Here is a photo of St. Mary's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

Church Records

  • Parish registers are on deposit from 1559, and the registers are available on microfilm from the Family History Library (FHL).
  • We have the very beginning of a Parish Register extract in a text file for your use. Your corrections and additions are welcome.
  • Look at the LFHS indexes for the Calcewaith & Candleshoe Deanery.
  • The National Burial Index (NBI) lists 1,231 burials at St. Mary's churchyard.
  • A Cross Stitch Kit of the parish church is available at Crafts Unlimited.
  • The Primitive Methodists built a chapel here in 1836. A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1863 on the south end of the village.
  • Rodney BURTON provides a photograph of the Wesleyan Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in July 1993.
  • For more on researching these chapel records, see our non-conformist religions page.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Burgh sub-district of the Spilsby Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Hogsthorpe is both a village and a parish that lies in the north part of Orby Marsh about 2 miles from the North Sea, a mile west of Chapel St. Leonards, 7 miles north of Skegness and 6 miles south-east of Alford on the A52 trunk road. Addlethorpe parish is immediately to the south, Mumby parish to the north. There use to be a small village called Slackholme just to the south of the village of Hogsthorpe. The parish covers 2,971 acres, most of which is converted salt marsh.

Photographs of the village of Hogsthorpe can be found at Community Web Shots.

If you are planning a visit:

  • For folks on holiday, there is a caravan park just south of the village at Hillview Touring Park, phone: 01754 872979.
  • For the enthusiast, Hill View Lakes offers fishing.
  • Richard HOARE provides a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2010.
  • Colin PYLE also has a photograph of a Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2013 at the south end of the village.
  • See our touring page for visitor services.
You can see pictures of Hogsthorpe which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Hogsthorpe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • In 1858 the local newspapers reported a "Shocking Murder at Hogsthorpe". John CARRATT, 35, killed his wife Eliza, but left his 3-year-old child alive.
  • In 1871, the Hogsthorpe Gas Company supplied gas to the village.
  • Bill HENDERSON has a photograph of the Saracen's Head Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF536721 (Lat/Lon: 53.223744, 0.299327), Hogsthorpe which are provided by:


Military History

  • There is a photograph of the base of the War Memorial on Flickr taken by Andrew Michaels.
  • Just southwest of the village, off Sloothby High Lane at Loft's Bridge, is a leftover Pillbox from World War II. Michael PATTERSON has a photograph of Loft's Bridge and the pillbox on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2006.

Military Records

For another photograph of the HogsthorpeWar Memorial and the list of names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.

There are four Commonwealth War Graves in St. Mary's churchyard, all from World War I:

  1. George BURMAN, pirv., 9th Btn. South Staffs, age 19, died 25 Apr. 1915. Son of George BURMAN of Wyche.
  2. Cyril Stanley EVISON, priv., 12th Btn. Middlesex Regt., age 24, died 14 May 1917. Son of William and Helen EEVISON of Hogsthorpe.
  3. Francis James SPILSBURY, captain, Royal Army Medical Corps. age 57, died 11 Oct. 1919. Husband of Clara Louisa SPILSBURY of Hogsthorpe
  4. G. W. VESSEY, priv., 3rd Btn. South Staffs, age 21, died 9 July 1916. Son of George William VESSEY of Hogsthorpe.

Names, Geographical

  • The name Hogsthorpe is from the Old Scandinavian Hogg's+thorp, or "hamlet of a man named Hogg". It appeared in the 12th century as Hocgestorp.
    [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]


  • One of the early Lords of the Manor in Hogsthorpe was Stephen CRACROFT (ca 1200-1300), son of Walter. In the last century, another family became prominent, that of 1st Viscount Addison (1869-1951). Christopher ADDISON was born on 19 June 1869, the youngest son of Robert Addison and Susan Fanthorpe. His papers have been compiled at the Bodleian Library.

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the ancient Calceworth Wapentake in the East Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
  • In August, 1882, there was an exchange of land with Mumby Civil Parish. Mumby received Sea Road and part of Whig Lane. This took the Civil Parish from 3,325 acres to 3,300 acres.
  • In March, 1888, this parish gave the cottage by the sea and part of Langham Row to Mumby Civil Parish and received a similar parcel in return.
  • In April, 1936, this parish received the Chapel St. Leonard's parcels of 321 acres.
  • J. THOMAS has a phtograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2015. Stop by when they are open and ask to see the schedule of forth-coming events. Talks on local history are not uncommon.
  • For today's district governance, see the East Lindsey District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Alford petty session hearings on alternate Tuesdays.
  • A workhouse for the poor was erected in 1640, but it was converted to nine cottages in 1831.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Spilsby Poor Law Union.
  • There is an undated ASHTON charity of £20 distributed to the parish poor yearly.
  • In 1907, Edmund MAGER left £400 in trust, the interest to be distributed yearly to the parish poor.


Year Inhabitants
1801 451
1831 698
1841 790
1871 878
1881 719
1891 684
1901 610
1911 590
1991 797


  • A school and a master's house were built in 1857. In 1871 it had about 70 students. The current primary school is located on Thames Street.
  • For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.