Hide

Holton le Clay

hide
Hide
Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

The Library at Louth will prove useful in your research.

topup

Cemeteries

Ian S. has a photograph of the EntranceGeo-graph, taken in September, 2014.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Tetney sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
     
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 637
1851 H.O. 107 / 2112
1861 R.G. 9 / 2387
1871 R.G. 10 / 3410
1881 R.G. 11 / 3266
1891 R.G. 12 / 2611
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter.
     
  • Parts of the church building date back to Saxon or early Norman times.
     
  • The church was repaired and partly rebuilt in 1850.
     
  • The church was restored and repaired in 1868.
     
  • Within the churchyard there is a 14th-century cross base and shaft.
     
  • The church seats only 90.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2005.
     
  • Here is a photo of St. Peter's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
     
image
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1750.
     
  • The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a 1641/2 Protestation Return for the Haverstoe Deanery to make your search easier.
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists also had a small chapel here, built in 1827. The Primitive Methodists also had a chapel built in 1836.
     
  • For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
     
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Tetney sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
     
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
topup

Description & Travel

Holton-le-Clay is a village and a parish 150 miles north of London and about 5 miles south of Great Grimsby. The parish covers about 1,530 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, the village is on the road between Grimsby and Louth (now the A16).
     
  • Stagecoach Lincolnshire provides daily bus service on its 51 line.
     
  • Both railway stations in the parish are now closed (both around 1961).
     
  • John FIRTH has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2011.
     
  • John BEAL has a photograph of where one of the Railway stations used to be, on Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
     
  • See our touring page for visitor services.
     
You can see pictures of Holton le Clay which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Holton le Clay has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The Royal Oak Inn serves as the hub of local news and information in the village.
     
  • Ian S. has a photograph of the Royal Oak on Louth Road on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2017
     
  • These are the names associated with the Royal Oak P. H. in various directories:
Year Person
1842 -- not listed --
1856 -- not listed --
1868 -- not listed --
1872 Charles STOVIN, victualler
1882 John FRESHNEY, vict.
1889 William BLACKBORN.
1900 Joseph W. LITTLE
1913 Arthur Atkinson KIRK
1930 Fred FARMERY

The Royal Oak had two lodgers in 1881. Here is the census entry (RG 11/3266 folio 158):

Relationship Name Sex Age Where born
Head John FRESHNEY M 52 Fulstow, Lincolnshire
wife Ellen FRESHNEY F 51 Aylesby, Lincolnshire
servant Jane SHERIFF F 16 North Thoresby, Lincolnshire
lodger Maria BLACKBURN F 35 Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire
lodger William GRANT M 53 Alford, Lincolnshire
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA286028 (Lat/Lon: 53.50617, -0.06242), Holton le Clay which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • Ian S. has a phtograph of the churchyard War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2014. It shows the names of 10 people from the parish who died in both World Wars.
     
  • The Imperial War Museum has more details on the above memorial.
     
  • November 1978 saw the unveiling of the 100 Sqn RAF memorial at Holton le Clay, close to the Squadron's WWII base at Waltham. The RAF memorial is located next to the A16. The old airfield is just to the south-west of the village.
topup

Military Records

John Readman provides the following, taken from the Roll of Honour at St. Peter's church. (See our disclaimer.) It's for the Great War 1914-1919. It lists all the people from the village who went to war and names those who were killed:

  1. Harry BEEVERS, 1. South Stafford's. 2. Royal Irish Fusiliers, France and Salonica
  2. William BOGG, 11th Lincolns
  3. George E. BOYERS, Sapper in Royal Engineers, Railway Construction in Egypt
  4. Herbert Henry BROCKLESBY, Army Service Corps, Mechanical Transport in France
  5. J. T. BROWN, 10th Lincolns, Wounded in France
  6. Charles DIXON, 1. 10th Lincolns, 2. 8th Lincolns, 3. 7th Lincolns, In France-Wounded, June 16th, 1915, and July 2nd, 1916
  7. Wilfred DOBBS, Rifleman in 9th Batt. King's Royal Rifles, In France- Prisoner of War, March 21st, 1918. Died November 10th, 1918
  8. Stephen DOBBS, 1. Kent Yeomanry, 2. Remount Squadron, Dardenelles and England
  9. Cecil Bernard DORMAN, Sapper in Royal Engineers, Railway Ordnance Department-France
  10. John P. DUNNINGTON, Royal Engineers, France
  11. Arthur Fyfe FORGE, 2nd Lieutenant, 8th Lincolns, In France-Killed in Action, October 4th, 1917
  12. George Henry HUTSON, Lance-Corporal, 1. 5th Lincolns, 2. North Stafford's, 1. In France, 2. In Ireland, 3. France - Killed in Action, April 15th, 1918
  13. Arthur HUTSON, 53rd Leicester's
  14. Charles Hubert JEFFS, Lieutenant, 1. 5th Border Regiment attached to 1) Royal Flying Corps, 2) Royal Air Force, In France- Prisoner of War 1917-1918
  15. John Roland JEFFS, Rifleman in 16th Batt, King's Royal Rifles, Belgium and France
  16. Oliver Douglas JEFFS, 1. Royal Flying Corps, 2. Royal Air Force, Belgium and France, 1st Air Mechanic, (Wireless Section)
  17. J. Thomas KINGSTON
  18. France William MARSHALL, 1. 5th Lincolns 2. Substitution Company
  19. Charles NEAL, Northumberland Fusiliers
  20. France Harry PHILLIPS, 1st Lincolns, France -Wounded, June 16th, 1915
  21. Fred PINDER, Lance-Corporal 7th Lincolns, France-Killed in Action October 12th, 1917
  22. H. Jesse RINGROSE, Gunner, Royal Field Artillery, France - Wounded September 10th, 1917
  23. Albert RINGROSE, 6th South Stafford's, In Ireland and France - Wounded August 1st 1917
  24. Cyril ROOTS, 2nd Lincolns, France - Killedin Action, October 13th, 1915
  25. Arthur RUSBY, Royal Field Artillery, Ireland and France
  26. Walter RUSBY, Royal Army Medical Corps, France
  27. William RUSBY, Lance-Corporal, Army Service Corps, Mechanical Transport in France
  28. George SAUNBY, Royal Army Medical Corps, Wounded in France
  29. John Lionel SAUNBY, Gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery
  30. William S. SHARPE, Canadian Expeditionary Force, France - Wounded October 27th, 1917
  31. Arthur Thomas SMITH, 2nd Royal Warwick's, France - Wounded May 13th, Died May 17th, 1917
  32. Harry STUBBS, Driver, Royal Field Artillery, Ireland and France
  33. William THORNALLEY, Corporal, 5th Lincolns, Ireland and France
  34. Harold THORNALLEY, Lance-Corporal, 5th Lincolns, France - Wounded September 17th, 1915
  35. Jack THORNALLEY, Corporal, 5th Lincolns, Ireland and France
  36. Reginald THORNALLEY, 53rd Leicester's
  37. Arthur WAKELIN, 3rd Coldstream Guards, France - Wounded October 21st, 1915
  38. Fred WAKELIN, Corporal, 5th Lincolns, Ireland and France. Wounded, Prisoner of War, April 11th, 1917, Died April 13th, 1917
  39. John WAKELIN, 7th Lincolns, France - Wounded October 29th, 1917

There is one Commonwealth War Grave from World War II in St. Peter's churchyard:

  1. Frank BAXTER, skipper MS trawler Montano, Royal Navy Reserve, died 22 Spet. 1943. Frank died of a heart attack, not from enemy action. The Montano was used as a minesweeper.
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Bradley Haverstoe Wapentake in the East Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
     
  • Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2018. The Hall was built in 1905. Stop in when they are open and ask to see the Schedule of Forth-coming events.
     
  • For civil or political issues you may contact the Parish Council, but they are NOT equipped or staffed to do family history searches. Meetings are held in the Village Hall.
     
  • For today's district governance, see the East Lindsey District Council.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Grimsby petty session hearings.
     
  • The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1765.
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Louth Poorlaw Union.
topup

Population

Year Inhabitants
1801 134
1811 161
1831 207
1841 263
1871 306
1881 283
1891 280
1901 257
1911 276
topup

Schools

  • A Council School, built for 72 children, served the parish.
     
  • Today the parish is served by an Infants School and a Junior School. High School children attend school in Louth. For more information see their Holton le Clay Schools website.
     
  • Ian S. has a photograph of the Former Village School on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2017.
     
  • For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.