A new cemetery was laid out in 1888 on the east side of the Boston Road on the south side of the town.
Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the Boston Road cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2010.
The cemetery was administered by the Burial Board of the Urban Council.
Horncastle is both a town and parish 135 miles north of London, on the banks of the Rivers Bain and Waring where they join. The parish lies about 21 miles east of Lincoln and about ten miles northwest of Spilsby. The parish itself is bounded on the north by West Ashby parish, to the west by Langton and Thimbleby and on the south by Thornton and Scrivelsby. The parish is in a valley just west of The Wolds and covers about 1,420 acres.
Horncastle town is a Market Town with some light industries: drainage pipes, paper sacks, newspaper publication and printing and country clothing. It supports several local sports teams. Tourism is a major industry, especially the Antique trade. Many citizens commute daily to Lincoln, Boston, Louth and Skegness and to the RAF base at Coningsby. If you are planning a visit:
- The town is easily accessed as it lies at the crossing of the A158 trunk road between Skegness and Lincoln and the A153 between Louth and Coningsby.
- Find directions on How to get to Horncastle.
- Consider a stay at the Best Western Admiral Rodney Hotel. It is listed as an old coaching inn, extensively refurbished, in the center of Horncastle on North Street. Or try the Bull Hotel or the Red Lion.
- Because of its size, the town offers many places to dine or share a pint with friends. There's the Black Swan Inn on South St., the Coach & Horses Inn, Hemingby, The Crown and the Fighting Cocks Inn, both on West St., etc.
- Horncastle is the Headquarters of the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust in the Banovallum House.
- Paintings of Horncastle and the area can be ordered from Martin Goode.
- Tourists should also check out the Tour UK site.
- Visit our touring page for more sources.
You can see pictures of Horncastle which are provided by:
You can see the
administrative areas in which Horncastle has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Maps WorldWide may be able to provide you with a Landranger map of Horncastle. Ask for "Landranger Map 0122: Skegness & Horncastle".
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF260695 (Lat/Lon: 53.207641, -0.11485), Horncastle which are provided by: