• Mary LEITCH, "What Happened to Joe?: Immingham's War Dead Remembered", publ. 1995, Workers' Educational Assoc., 72 pages, ISBN 978-0952425915.
  • Alan TAILBY, "The Story of a Village, a History of Immingham", publ. 1970. Mr. Tailby gives an insight into the medieval history of Immingham and North Lincolnshire.


  • The parish was in the Grimsby sub-district of the Caistor Registration District.
  • In 1890, the Caistor Registration District was split in two and this parish became part of the new Grimsby Registration District.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841H.O. 107 / 638
1861R.G. 9 / 2391
1871R.G. 10 / 3417
1891R.G. 12 / 2620

Church History

  • The Anglican Parish Church is dedicated to Saint Andrew.
  • The church dates from the Norman era, but no precise year is given.
  • The church was restored during 1887-90.
  • The church seats 220.
  • There is a photograph of St. Andrew's church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
  • David WRIGHT has a photograph of St. Andrew's church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
  • Richard CROFT also has a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
  • Here is a photo of St. Andrew's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):



Church Records

  • We have a handful of parish register extracts in a text file. Your additions are welcome.
  • CAUTION: Bernie Kettlewell reports that there is a serious discrepancy in the IGI records included for the period 1700-1753. It contains a significant number (38) of marriages additional to those in the PR. Anne Cole investigated and found that these additional marriages actually took place at Ingham in Lawres Deanery.
  • The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a 1641/2 Protestation Return for the Haverstoe Deanery to make your search easier.
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here before 1842 and rebuilt in 1883. The Primitive Methodists erected a chapel in 1910. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
  • Joathan THACKER has a photograph of the modern Roman Catholic Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2011.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Grimsby sub-district of the Caistor Registration District.
  • In 1890, the Caistor Registration District was split in two and this parish became part of the Grimsby Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Immingham is both a village and a parish in the north of Lincolnshire, on the banks of the River Humber. It sits 10 miles north-west of Grimsby and south-east of Killingholme. Habrough parish lies to the west and Stallingborough parish to the south. The parish covers about 4,200 acres and includes the hamlet of Roxton about 1.5 miles south of the village.

If you are planning a visit:

You can see pictures of Immingham which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Immingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • The Pilgrim Fathers left from the bank of the Humber at a place called Immingham Creek to Holland in 1608. The actual spot was marked by a memorial which was erected in 1924. The granite top stone of the memorial was taken from Plymouth Rock, Mass, and presented by the Sulgrave Institution. The memorial was erected by the Anglo-American Society of Hull. The memorial became surrounded by industry as the Immingham dock area expanded and was moved in 1970 to its present site in a small park opposite the church in Immingham. According to Alan TAILBY in his book (See Bibliography) the Pilgrims did hire a boat to take them to Holland from Boston in 1607 but the skipper, after taking their money, betrayed them to the authorities and they were imprisoned for a time. Many of the streets in Immingham are named after the Pilgrims: e.g. Clyfton Crescent and Brewster Avenue.
  • Christine HASMAN has a photograph of the Pilgrim Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
  • In 1906, Lady HENDERSON turned the first sod to create the large dock at Immingham. The dock officially opened 6 years later on 22 July, 1912.
  • Prior to World War I most of this parish was grazing land.
  • Rail buffs may wish to poke around the old Locomotive Depot for old stock like this locomotive seen on Geo-graph, taken in September, 1947.
  • David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Bluestone Inn on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006..


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA182148 (Lat/Lon: 53.616288, -0.213976), Immingham which are provided by:


Medical Records

  • The Immingham Isolation Hospital was still operating in 1930. I could find no other material on the Hospital. There are no patient records in the Archives.

Military History

  • The Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) established a balloon base just before the outbreak of World War I.
  • The base provided not only barrage balloons to protect the port, but also kite balloons for use by convoy escorts. They also provided balloons wih wicker baskets to take observers up to 3,000 feet to watch for enemy submarines, torpedo tracks and floating mines.
  • A few biplanes flew from the base to supplement the observers, but there were not any extensive military flights.
  • The newly-formed RAF took over the base in April, 1918 until its closure shortly after the war.
  • The Grimsby Telegraph carries an atricle on the 46 people from Immingham who died in WWI.
  • This image is borrowed from the Grimsby Telegraph archives.

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the ancient Yarborough Wapentake in the Central Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
  • On 24 March, 1887, this Civil Parish was enlarged by the Newsham with Brocklesby Booth section of Brocklesby Civil Parish.
  • On that same date, this Civil Parish was reduced in size by a land transfer to South Killingham Civil Parish.
  • You may contact the local Immingham Town Council regarding civic or political issues. Be aware that they can NOT assist with family history research.
  • District governance is provided by the North-East Lincolnshire Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Grimsby petty session hearings.
  • In 1780, Percival TEAL left 10 shillings per year for the parish poor.
  • After the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Caistor Poor Law Union.
  • The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1840.
  • In 1890, this parish was transferred to the new Grimsby Poor Law Union.




  • A Council School was built here prior to 1913 to hold 300 children.
  • A Public Elementary School was built here in 1913 to hold 300 children. This school reconfigured its teaching focus and became the Oasis Academy Immingham in 2008.
  • For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.