Hide

Keelby

hide
Hide
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

  • Brian CHESTER has provided a Monument Inscription lookup feature at his website for Keelby cemetery.
  • The Keelby Cemetery required restoration after the June, 2007, floods. The local Rotary Club co-ordinated much of the work
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Caistor sub-district of the Caistor Registration District.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • In the 1891 census, the parish is indexed as North Kelsey, Enum Dist, 15 and 16.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841H.O. 107 / 638
1851H.O. 107 / 2100
1861R.G. 9 / 2393
1871R.G. 10 / 3422
1881R.G. 11 / 3280
1891R.G. 12 / 2622
1901R.G. 13 / 3098
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Bartholomew.
  • The church is over 600 years old. Some portions date back to Norman times.
  • The church chancel and tower were repaired in 1905.
  • The church seats 244.
  • The church is Grade I listed with English Heritage.
  • A photograph of St. Bartholomew's Church is at the Wendy PARKINSON English Church Photographs site.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Bartholomew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2006.
  • Here is a photo of St. Bartholomew's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

 

image
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1565.
  • The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes for the Haverstoe Deanery to make your search easier.
  • There was a Primitive Methodist chapel built here in 1850. The Primitive Methodists closed the chapel for worship some time after 1930.
  • David HEBB has a photograph of the old Methodist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2010.
  • There was an Wesleyan Methodist chapel with a Sunday School built in the parish in 1867. Check our Non-Conformist Church Records page for additional resources.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Caistor sub-district of the Caistor Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
topup

Description & Travel

This village and parish lies about 7 miles north-east of Caistor and 9 miles west of Grimsby. Riby parish lies to the south-east. The parish covers about 1,860 acres.

The Coble Beck runs through the parish. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A18 arterial road west out of Laceby or east out of Great Limber. The road runs along the south-west border of the village.
  • David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Vilage Hall on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2006.
  • See our touring page for visitor services.
You can see pictures of Keelby which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Keelby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • A Foresters' Hall was built here in 1847. The foundation stone was laid by Lord Worsley.
  • A Church Institute was built here in 1898 of white brick. It holds about 200 persons.
  • The village used to hold a pleasure fair every 10th of July.
  • Rod COLLINS provides a good potted history of the parish, the church and the two manor houses.
  • John FIRTH has a photograph of the Kings Head Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2012.
  • These are the names associated with the King's Head Inn in various directories:
YearPerson
1842Mary RIPPER, vict.
1872George BLANCHARD, vict.
1882Willaim TAYLOR, vict.
1900Harry MARSHALL
1913Ross N. OLIVER
1930Arthur OLIVER
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA164102 (Lat/Lon: 53.575232, -0.244017), Keelby which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • The RAF opened an airfield here late in World War I. It had a short existence and was abandoned in 1919. The field was called "Greenland Top" officially, but some units refered to the field as "Stallingborough," which may have been a pun based on the name and the flight characteristics of certain aircraft.
  • In 1921 the parish erected a cross in the village in memory of the men of the parish who fell in World War I.
  • In 1930 Lieut.-Col Joseph Hugh WARD, D.S.O. lived in the village. He was a physician and surgeon.
topup

Names, Geographical

  • In the 1086 Domesday Book, the name is given as "Chelebi", meaning "ridge valley". The name was given by the Danes.
  • Locals pronounce the name as "KEEL-bee". Others may use "KEEL-bi".
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the East Division of the ancient Yarborough Wapentake in the West Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
  • At times, due to government re-organisation, the parish has been in the North Lindsey district.
  • Today's district governance is provided by the West Lindsey District Council.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Miss M. A. HILL left a charity (undated, but prior to 1909) which produced about £25 each year in 1930 to be donated to the poor.
  • Mrs. Alice SOUTH left 10 acres of land for the poor in 1605. This bequest still provides for small gifts at Christmas for local retired villagers.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Caistor Poor Law Union.
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Caistor petty session hearings.
topup

Population

YearInhabitants
1801313
1831638
1841719
1851859
1871837
1891702
1911667
topup

Schools

  • A School Board was formed on 14 Feb, 1873.
  • A Board School was built in 1879 to hold up to 150 children.
  • See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.