• The parish was in the Saltfleet sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 640
1851 H.O. 107 / 2112
1861 R.G. 9 / 2385
1871 R.G. 10 / 3407
1891 R.G. 12 / 2610

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
  • The church is built of stone, erected in the reign of Henry VII.
  • The church tower was restored in 1851.
  • In 1889 the chancel was rebuilt and enlarged.
  • The church seats 150.
  • A photograph of St. Mary's Church is at the Wendy PARKINSON English Church Photographs site.
  • Here is a photo of St. Mary's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):



Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1679.
  • We have a handful of entries in our Parish Register Extract text file. Your additions are welcome.
  • The Lincolnshire FHS has published several Marriage indexes and a Burial index for the Louthesk Deanery to make your search easier.
  • A small Weslyean Methodist chapel was built here in 1847. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Saltfleet sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.

Description and Travel

Manby is both a village and a parish 5.5 miles east of Louth and 1 mile south of Grimoldby. The parish covers about 1,500 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the B1200 arterial road east from Louth or west from Saltfleetby.
  • Visit our touring page for visitor services.
You can see pictures of Manby which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Manby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • The Plough Public House was a good spot to catch up on local news and gossip. In 1913, John Frederick WINDLEY was the proprietor. The inn is not mentioned in 1930.
  • The Lancaster Inn started as a Joint Services Bomb Disposal School in 1940. It is unclear from the records when it became a Pub (under the name Manby Arms), but it was refurbished in 2008 and received its present name.
  • John FIRTH has a photograph of the Lancaster Inn on Geo-graph, taken in 2010.
  • From: Lincs. Archives fiche 1227 001 01A (1798): Contributions by families and inhabitants of Manby "towards the assistance of Government in its present defence against our inveterate foe the French." Supplied by Susan Watkin
  1. Revd Francis BURTON, curate of Manby £1 1 shilling
  2. James WELLS esq. £5 5 shillings
  3. Mr WELFITT £1.1 shilling
  4. Mrs Elizabeth WELFITT, widow dowager £1 1 shilling
  5. Mr Jno WARD
  6. Jno PARKER
  7. Thos LEAK
  8. Thos LARDER
  9. Richard LOWERY
  10. Elizabeth BILSBY
  11. William TROOB [last letter not clear]
  12. Mary ELSOM
  13. Frances WELLS
  14. Jno MARKS [surname not clear]
  15. Wm FORMAN 1 shilling
  16. Jno WHITE
  17. Jno KIRK
  18. Widow WELLS
  19. William LAUGHTON
  20. Jno WILSON
  21. Robert SWABY
  22. Wm LARDER
  23. Jno FISH jnr
  24. Jno FISH snr
  25. Thos FISH
  26. Wm SONEY [first letter of surname not clear]
  27. Rob THEAL
  28. Wm SNOWDEN
  29. David CROFT
  30. Thos AYSCOUGH


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF397871 (Lat/Lon: 53.362026, 0.098104), Manby which are provided by:


Military History

  • There was an RAF airfield near Manby village in WWII. The airfield opened for use in 1938 as the Empire Air Armorment School.
  • Many bomb disposal techniques were developed at Manby field.
  • By June 1940, RAF Manby housed the Joint Services Bomb Disposal School, where RAF, Royal Engineers and Royal Navy staff trained.
  • In 1946 RAF Manby became the RAF Flying College and later the College of Air Warfare.
  • The airfield was closed in 1974 and much of it returned to agricultural use, although some of the buildings remain, now used as grain storage or industrial usage. A local Model Aero Club uses the site, also.
  • Photographs of Manby Field show the present condition of the Operations Centre and the Control Tower.
  • Recollections of RAF Manby, by Steve RIPLEY should prove interesting.
  • John READMAN has a photograph of the Forces graveyard on Geo-graph, taken in 2003.

Military Records

  • John READMAN has a photograph of the Guy GIBSON plaque on Geo-graph, taken in 2003.
  • John READMAN also has a photograph of the Roll of Honour in St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2003.
  • Diane MALTBY provides this list of World War II graves for foreigners she found in Manby's cemetery:
  1. R77881 Sergeant A. FLEMING. Pilot. Royal Canadian Air Force. 18th August 1942. Age 23. Safe in the arms of Jesus.
  2. 404024 Sergeant A. H. C. GILL. Wireless Operator/Air Gunner. Royal New Zealand Air Force. 17th August 1942. Age 24.
  3. 406500 Flight Sergeant. W. J. BIRMINGHAM. Royal Australian Air Force. 28th July 1942. Age 21. From ?Dwelling up? Western Australia.
  4. R64799 Flight Sergeant F. L. J. HARTNETT. Wireless Operator/Air Gunner. Royal Canadian Air Force. 28th July 1942 Age 21. Borne of the sun They tracked a short while to the sun And left the vivid air Signed with their honour (Is this a quotation from a poem?)
  5. R54196 Sergeant A.F. PEARSON. Air Gunner. Royal Canadian Air Force. 28th July 1942.
  6. PPOR J. CEHRZYCKI. JAASS. 9th October 1941. Age 24. Polish Forces.
  7. KPL W. M. HALENDA. 2 G.A.S. 30th August 1941 Age 23.
  8. KPL F. SKRZYPCZAK. FTC. 28th October 1940. Age 22.

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire, and became a modern Civil Parish when those were establishd.
  • The parish was in the Marsh division of the ancient Louth Eske Wapentake in the East Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
  • In August, 1882, this parish was reduced in order to increase the land allocated to St. Peter Saltfleetby.
  • For today's district governance, see the East Lindsey District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law, etc.



There has been a huge surge in population following WW II.

Year Inhabitants
1801 144
1811 188
1831 207
1841 211
1871 207
1881 180
1891 162
1901 139
1911 150
1921 137
1931 111
1951 1,146
1961 887


  • The children of this parish attended school in Grimoldby.
  • See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.