- The Cemetery was laid out on Mill Lane south of the village and opened in 1998. It is under the control of the Town Council.
- Ian PATERSON has a photograph of the Cemetery Gates on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2009.
- The parish was in the South West sub-district of the Lincoln Registration District.
- Wendy Parkinson has the North Hykeham 1861 census transcribed and indexed online.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1841||H.O. 107 / 619|
|1851||H.O. 107 / 2104|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2354|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3365|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2587|
- This section has been moved to another page due to size. Please click here to enjoy the history and photographs of the church.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The church was rebuilt in 1858.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a burial index for the Graffoe Deanery to make your search easier.
- The Wesleyans Methodists had a chapel here, built in 1838. The United Methodists had a chapel here in 1913. For information and assistance in researching this chapel, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Wendy PARKINSON has agreed to do census (1841 - 1891) and parish register lookups (1813 - 1900) for any interested persons. See the information she has online at: North and South Hykeham information.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Southwest sub-district of the Lincoln Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
North Hykeham is a town and a parish two miles southwest of the city of Lincoln. It lies west of the the A15 trunk road and east of the A46 trunk road ("Foss Way"). The River Witham (actually the Fossdyke Canal) forms a portion of the eastern parish boundary. Doddington is the neighboring parish on the west side. The parish covers approx. 1,900 acres. Springbeck, also called Swallowbeck, is a hamlet in this parish. It sits along the Newark Road.
If you are planning a visit:
- Consider the Loudor Hotel at 37 Newark Road, LN6 8RB.
- See our touring page for more sources.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from North Hykeham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which North Hykeham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Fox and Hounds Public House on the Newark road was a good place to catch up on local news. The Burton Hunt used to meet here regularly until 1871. Albert Gostick was landlord from 1908 to 1928 and it had the only crown bowling green in Lincolnshire. The inn is still functioning
- These are the names associated with the The Fox and Hounds in various directories:
|1868||-- not listed --|
|1872||-- not listed --|
|1882||-- not listed --|
|1900||-- not listed --|
- The Plough Public House on the Lincoln road was a popular conversation spot. The inn is still functioning and has its own webpage on Facebook. These are the names associated with the place in various directories:
|1868||-- not listed --|
|1872||-- not listed --|
|1882||Moses GIBSON, vict.|
|1900||Mrs. Sarah HUNT|
|1930||Jn. Wm. CLARKE|
- A handy book for modern history is "North Hykeham in the 20th Century" by Bill Wilson and John Marriott, publ. 2001.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK944665 (Lat/Lon: 53.187368, -0.588713), North Hykeham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- There is a War Memorial inside All Saints Church on Moor Lane. It is for those who fell in WW One and WW Two, but I have no photograph or description of it.
- The name Hykeham is possibly from the Old English Hice+ham, for "small bird enclosure", appearing in the 1086 Domesday Book as Hicham.
["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1991]
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Boothby Graffoe Wapentake in the North Kesteven division of the county, in the parts of Kesteven.
- In 1894, the growth of the village allowed this place to become an official town, governed by a Town Council.
- For today's district governance, see the North Kesteven District Council.
As Lincoln city has grown, so has this parish, which is now partly a suburb of Lincoln.
Year Inhabitants 1801 254 1841 367 1851 443 1871 468 1891 459 1911 1,406 1991 10,506
- A National School was built here to hold up to 118 children. It was enlarged in 1908.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.