Hide

Ravendale

hide
Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Grimsby sub-district of the Caistor Registration District.
  • In 1890, the parish was allocated to the Grimsby sub-district of the new Grimsby Registration District.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 642
1861 R.G. 9 / 2391
1871 R.G. 10 / 3416
1891 R.G. 12 / 2620
topup

Church History

  • A Praemonstratensian Canonry was founded here in 1202 by Alan Fitz-Henry. Only their chapel remains in West Ravendale.
  • In ancient times, West Ravendale had a parish church. Some ruins of the building remainded in the 1800s.
  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Martin.
  • The church was erected in 1857 in East Ravendale. It replaced a much older and smaller structure.
  • The church seats about 100.
  • A photograph of St. Martin's church in East Ravendale is at the Wendy PARKINSON English Church Photographs site.
  • Kate NICOL has a photograph of St. Martin's church on Geo-graph, taken in October,2009.
  • Here is a photo of St. Martin's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

image

topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish registers date back to 1723.
  • The parish register for 1723 - 1812 are on deposit at the Lincolnshire Archives office.
  • The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a 1641/2 Protestation Return for the Haverstoe Deanery to make your search easier.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Grimsby sub-district of the Caistor Registration District.
  • In 1890, the parish was allocated to the Grimsby sub-district of the new Grimsby Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
topup

Description & Travel

Ravendale is a small village and a parish about 9 miles east of Caistor, 7 miles south of Grimsby and 10 miles north-west of Louth. The parish covers about 1,600 acres and includes the hamlet of West Ravendale.

If you are planning a visit:

  • For relaxation, try the Manor Golf Club in West Ravendale.
  • See our touring page for visitor services.
topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Ravendale has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF232998 (Lat/Lon: 53.480436, -0.144281), Ravendale which are provided by:

topup

Names, Geographical

  • The name appears in the 1086 Domesday Book as "Ravenedal". That is Old Scandinavian for "Valley of ravens".
  • Many records have the name as "Randal".
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the ancient Bradley Haverstoe Wapentake in the Central Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
  • In Kelly's 1900 Directory of Lincolnshire, the parish is given as being in the North Lindsey division of the county.
  • West Ravendale is a chapelry and a township in East Ravendale parish.
  • For many centuries East Ravendale and West Ravendale were separate parishes.
  • District governance is provided by the North-East Lincolnshire Council.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Caistor Poor Law Union.
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1841.
  • In an 1890 re-organisation, this parish was transferred to the new Grimsby Poor Law Union.
  • Bastardy cases would be held in the Grimsby petty sessional hearings.
topup

Population

Year Inhabitants
1801 76
1831 104
1841 112
1871 129
1881 165
1891 180
1911 157
topup

Schools

  • A Public Elementary School (formerly a National School) was built here in 1856 to hold up to 70 children.
  • For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
  • Here is a photograph of East Ravendale C. of E. School taken in 2002 and supplied by Paul FENWICK (who retains the copyright). Paul used to attend this school.

image