• The parish was in the Winterton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known (provided by Kieth DOREY):
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 649
1851 H.O. 107 / 2117
1861 R.G. 9 / 2400
1871 R.G. 10 / 3431
1881 R.G. 11 / 3286
1891 R.G. 12 / 2627
1901 R.G. 13 / 3104

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
  • The church seats 350.
  • There is a photograph of All Saints Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site, taken by Paul FENWICK.
  • Here is a photo of All Saints Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):



Church Records

  • Parish registers exist from 1627, although entries back to 1562 appear in the Bishop's transcripts.
  • Syd Beacroft has offered to do lookups in the parish register for researchers. Contact him at: Syd Beacroft.
  • Check the Manlake Deanery to see existing Marriage Indexes.
  • A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1891 and a Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1837. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Winterton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

This village and parish is in the far north of Lincolnshire, bordered on the north by the River Humber and in the south by Winterton parish. The parish covers about 3,970 acres of land.

The village is easy to reach. If you are planning a visit:

  • From the A15 trunk road, where it crosses Barton-upon-Humber, take the A1077 west about seven miles to Winteringham.
  • Alternately, one could just drive north on Ermine Street to Winteringham.
  • Check out our touring page.
  • The village has its own website. The site has some Genealogical data, as well.
You can see pictures of Winteringham which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Winteringham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • Queen Etheldreda landed here after crossing the Humber when she fled her second husband, King Egfrid.
  • A half mile east of the village of Winteringham is the site of the Roman town of Ad Abum.
  • Ermine Street, the great Roman Road, ended here at a ferry across the Humber.
  • In older times, a pleasure faire was held each July 14th.
  • The parish had a Temperance Hall built in 1882.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE930223 (Lat/Lon: 53.68888, -0.592747), Winteringham which are provided by:


Military History

  • There is a War Memorial standing in Winteringham, dedicated in 1920.
  • David WRIGHT has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in 2006.
  • The War Memorial is a grade II listed structure with British Heritage
  • During World War II the people of Winteringham "adopted" the destroyer "HMS Vanity."

Military Records

For a photograph of the Winteringham War Memorial and the names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.


Names, Geographical

  • The name Winteringham is from the Old English Wintra+inga+ham, or "Homestead of the followers of Wintra". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village name is little-changed, given as Wintringeham.
    [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]

Names, Personal

  • The surname BURKHILL appears often in the parish.

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the ancient Manley Wapentake in the Glanford division in the parts of Lindsey.
  • District governance is currently provided by the North Lincolnshire Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law



Year Inhabitants
1801 678
1831 726
1871 779
1901 595
1971 867
2001 989


  • A National School was built here in 1845 to hold 143 children. In 1900, the attendance was 79. The school has since closed.
  • David WRIGHT has a photograph of the old school on Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
  • For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.