Archives & Libraries

The Library at Louth will prove useful in your research.



  • The parish was in the Tetney sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
1851 H.O. 107 / 2112
1861 R.G. 9 / 2387
1871 R.G. 10 / 3409 & 3410
1891 R.G. 12 / 2611



Church History

  • There is evidence of a Saxon church here before the Danes came in 870 and burned it down.
  • The church stands at the southern edge of the village.
  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul. It apparently dates back to before 1363.
  • The church nave was apparently reconstructed in 1363.
  • The church was restored in 1861-2.
  • Electric lighting came to the church in 1929.
  • The church seats 400 people.
  • Here is a photo of the Anglican church, taken by (and copyright of) Wendy PARKINSON.

Here is a photo of St. Peter and St. Paul Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):


Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1720.
  • We have a partial Parish Register Extract in a web page. Your additions and corrections are welcome.
  • The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a 1641/2 Protestation Return for the Haverstoe Deanery to make your search easier.
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a small chapel here, built in 1877 in the centre of the village.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Methodist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
  • The Primitive Methodists also had a chapel built in Tetney Lock in 1864. It could seat 140.
  • For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Tetney sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

This parish and village are 6 miles due south of Cleethorpes, and about 3 miles from the North Sea. Humberstone parish is to the north and North Coates parish to the southeast. Tetney Lock is a hamlet in the parish, about 2 miles east from Tetney village, on the Louth Navigation Canal. The parish covers about 6,000 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A1031 trunk road south out of Cleethorpes. The road bisects the village.
  • The Village is proud to have wom a "Best Kept Village" award. Ian S. has a photograph of the BKV Award on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2013.
  • See our touring page for visitor services.
You can see pictures of Tetney which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Tetney has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • The village long held a pleasure fair each year around mid-July.
  • The Plough Inn serves as the hub of local news and information on the Market square.
  • We have a view of he Plough Inn, the bus stop and the market place on Geo-graph, taken by Chris ? in October, 2012.
  • Ian S. has a phtograph of the Plough Inn on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2017.
  • These are the names associated with the Plough Inn in various directories:
Year Person
1842 -- not listed --
1868 -- not listed --
1872 George LOCKING, victualler
1882 Mack ROBINSON
1896 Mark ROBINSON
1900 James SPENCER
1913 James Mayes SPENCE
1930 Edwd. PHILLIPSON junior


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA312015 (Lat/Lon: 53.493458, -0.023432), Tetney which are provided by:


Military History

  • In 1919 a framed oak tablet was mounted in the church in memory of the men of the parish who died in World War I.
  • Ian S. has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2013.
  • Steve FAREHAM has a photograph of a Three-bay Pillbox at Tetney Lock on the Traces of War website.

Military Records

John Readman provides the following, taken from the Roll of Honour at Saints Peter and Paul church (all World War One):

  • ARCHER, Fred
  • ALTOFT, Hugh
  • ALTOFT, John
  • BARKER, Alfred Edwin
  • BARKER, John
  • BARTON, Fred
  • BARTON, William
  • BEE, George
  • BROWN, William
  • CAVE, George Thomas
  • CAVE, William
  • CHAPMAN, A. Alderson
  • CHAPMAN, Hedley W.
  • CHILVER, Wilfred
  • CLARKE, Herbert N
  • CONSTANT, Marin
  • CROWSON, Clarence
  • CROWSON, Leslie
  • DALE, James W.
  • DALTON, Richard
  • DAWSON, Hedley
  • DAWSON, John W.
  • DAY, John T.
  • DAY, Joseph
  • DIGHTON, William Thomas
  • DIXON, George
  • DONINGTON, George
  • DOUGLAS, George
  • EMPRINGHAM, George
  • EMPSON, Horace C.
  • FOOT, Frederick G.
  • FOX, Charles
  • GERMANEY, Percy
  • GILL, Charles
  • GILL, William
  • GRANTHAM, Hewson
  • HANLEY, John
  • HARRISON, Frank
  • HARRISON, William
  • HEWSON, Alfred
  • HEWSON, Hedley
  • HEWSON, Percy
  • HILL, Sidney
  • IVES, Charles
  • JACKLIN, Abraham
  • JACKLIN, Arthur W.
  • JOHNSON, George
  • KENDALL, Herbert Dawson
  • LAKIN, Charles Richard
  • LEWIS, Charles
  • LEWIS, Frank
  • LINGARD, George
  • MARSHALL, Frank
  • MARSHALL, Hermann
  • MARSHALL, William
  • MORWOOD, Arthur Henry
  • MUMBY, David
  • PARKER, David
  • PARKER, James
  • PARKER, John Warren
  • PEART, Hedley
  • PEART, Henry
  • PHILLIPSON, Arthur
  • PHILLIPSON, Edward
  • PHILLIPSON, George
  • PHILLIPSON, William
  • PINDER, Charles
  • PINDER, Frank
  • PINDER, Fred
  • PINDER, Hedley
  • RAINFORD, Ralph
  • RICHARDSON, Victor H.
  • ROBINSON, Arthur H.
  • ROBINSON, George
  • ROBINSON, Gilbert
  • ROBINSON, John
  • ROBINSON, Samuel
  • ROBINSON, Thomas
  • ROOTS, Cyril
  • ROWBOTHAM, Sidney R.
  • SALT, Edward
  • SALT, Robert
  • SCUPHAM, Albert
  • SCUPHAM, Ernest
  • SCUPHAM, Jesse
  • SCUPHAM, Percy
  • SCUPHAM, Walter
  • STARK, Charles
  • SMITH, William
  • STUBBS, Edwin A.
  • TAYLOR, Norman
  • TODD, Alfred
  • TODD, Fred
  • TONGE, Richard
  • TRAVIS, Alan George
  • TURNER, George Byron
  • TURNER, George Hamer
  • WATTAM, Thomas
  • WILD, William
  • WILES, F.
  • WRIGHT, Alfred

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the ancient Bradley Haverstoe Wapentake in the East Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
  • For today's district governance, see the East Lindsey District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Bradley Haverstoe petty session hearings.
  • The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1777.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, the parish became part of the Louth Poorlaw Union.


Year Inhabitants
1801 440
1811 489
1831 647
1841 819
1861 917
1871 923
1881 807
1891 775
1901 636
1911 717
1921 790
1931 882
1951 865


  • A school board was formed in February, 1873.
  • A Council School was built in 1856 to hold up to 152 children. (It was a Wesleyan School at first).
  • For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.