"THE next is Aldersgate Ward, which takes its Name from that North Gate of the City: This Ward also consists of divers Streets and Lanes, lying as well within the Gate and Wall, as without. . . The Antiquities are these: First, in Staining-lane, of old Time so called, as may be supposed, the Painters-Stainers dwelling there. On the East Side thereof, adjoining to Haberdashers Hall, are 10 Alms-Houses, pertaining to the Haberdashers, wherein are placed 10 Alms-People of that Company; every one of them having 8 d. a-piece, every Friday, for ever, by the Gift of Thomas Huntlow, Haberdasher, one of the Sheriffs in the Year 1539. And Sir George Burton gave the 1o l a Year for ever." [A survey of the cities of London and Westminster, borough of Southwark, and . . . By John Stow, John Mottley (1733) - transcribed by Brian Randell]
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for Aldersgate Ward.
The Life of Anthony Bacon - "A brief historical sketch of the life of Anthony Bacon, poet and intelligencer, brother of Sir Francis Bacon and son of Sir Nicholas Bacon, Lord Keeper", by Peter Dawkins.
Aldersgate Ward - photographs and maps from the London Burial Grounds website.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aldersgate Ward to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Aldersgate Ward has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Allen, Thomas. The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and parts adjacent. Continued to the present time. London: G. Virtue (1839) 3 vols. [Full text - Aldersgate Ward]
Stow, John and John Nottley. A Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster, borough of Southwark, and parts adjacent. London, Printed for T. Read (1733-35) 2 vols. [Full text - Aldersgate Ward]
Thomas, Henry The Wards of London: Comprising a Historical and Topographical Description of Every Object of Importance Within the Boundaries of the City. With an Account of All the Companies, Institutions, Buildings, Ancient Remains &c., &c., and Biographical Sketches of All Eminent Persons Connected Therewith London: J. Gifford (1828) 2 vols. [Aldersgate Ward]
Blome's 1754 Map of Aldersgate Ward and Vintry Ward.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ322816 (Lat/Lon: 51.51827, -0.096559), Aldersgate Ward which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Aldersgate Ward Club website - with extensive illustrations and details of the ward's history.
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for Aldersgate Ward, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.