"CHEAPSIDE, one of the principal streets and thoroughfares in the City, extends from the north-east corner of St. Paul's churchyard to the Old Jewry, Bucklersbury and the Poultry. It derives its name from the Saxon word Cheap, which signifies a market, the street therefore is the Market-side; . . . This market was called West Cheap, while that beyond Cannon-street was called East Cheap. . . This street gives its name to the ward wherein it is situated. The Ward of Cheap is bounded on the east by the wards of Broad-street and Walbrook, on the north by those of Bassishaw and Coleman-street, on the west by those of Queenhithe and Cripplegate, and on the south by that of the Cordwainers. . . The principal buildings in this ward, are the parish churches of Mildred in the Poultry and St. Mary Colechurch, Guildhall, Mercers'-hall and chapel and Grocers'-hall." [J. Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for Cheap Ward.
Cheap Ward - photographs and maps from the London Burial Grounds website.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cheap Ward to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cheap Ward has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Allen, Thomas. The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and parts adjacent. Continued to the present time. London: G. Virtue (1839) 3 vols. [Full text - Cheap Ward]
Stow, John and John Nottley. A Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster, borough of Southwark, and parts adjacent. London, Printed for T. Read (1733-35) 2 vols. [Full text - Cheap Ward]
Thomas, Henry The Wards of London: Comprising a Historical and Topographical Description of Every Object of Importance Within the Boundaries of the City. With an Account of All the Companies, Institutions, Buildings, Ancient Remains &c., &c., and Biographical Sketches of All Eminent Persons Connected Therewith London: J. Gifford (1828) 2 vols. [Cheap Ward]
Cole's 1756 Map of Cheap Ward.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ326811 (Lat/Lon: 51.513597, -0.091152), Cheap Ward which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Cheap Ward Club website.
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for Cheap Ward, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.