St Andrew Holborn
"ST. ANDREW'S, Holborn, the church of stands at the north-east corner of Holbom-hill and Shoe-lane, and is dedicated to St. Andrew the Apostle, who is distinguished in church history as the earliest of the apostles, and as having suffered martyrdom in Achaia. There was a church on this site as early as the year 1297, which escaped the fire of London in 1666, but ten years after, being found too ruinous for reparation, it was taken down, except the tower, in 1686, and the present church erected in its place by Sir Christopher Wren. It is one of the finest and most appropriate Protestant churches in Europe. . . . The living is a rectory worth above £600 a year. The patronage was originally in the gift of the Dean and Canons of St Paul's. . .. It is now in the patronage of the Duke of Buccleugh, and its present rector is the Rev. Gilbert Beresford, who was instituted in 1819." [J. Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Brian Randell]
This parish is located in Farringdon Without Ward.
The church was destroyed in 1666, rebuilt by Wren in 1687, damaged 1941 by enemy action, rebuilt 1960.
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for St Andrew Holborn.
Online Parish Register Images and Indexes for St Andrew Holborn are provided by, or at various subscription sites via, the LDS FamilySearch wiki.
Wikipedia page on St Andrew Holborn.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Andrew Holborn to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Andrew Holborn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Summary history of St Andrew Holborn parish, from the Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks.
A report from the committee to whom the petition of the churchwardens, overseers of the poor, and great numbers of the inhabitants of the several parishes of St. Giles in the Fields, the Liberty of Saffron-Hill, Hattongarden, and Ely Rents in the parish of St. Andrew Holbourn; St. Dunstan Stepney, St. Paul Shadwell, St. Anne in Middlesex, St. Sepulchres in Middlesex, St. Luke, Middlesex, and St. James Clerkenwell in the County of Middlesex, whose names are thereunto subscribed on behalf of themselves. London, (1737) 50, 91 pp. [Full text]
Public Houses, Inns & Taverns of the parish of St Andrew Holborn - provides "information from census records, trade directories, etc."
A Mapp of St Andrews Holborn Parish, by John Strype ca. 1720, from Garwood-Voigt.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ310818 (Lat/Lon: 51.519913, -0.113208), St Andrew Holborn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for St Andrew Holborn parish, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.