St Bartholomew the Less
"ST. BARTHOLOMEW THE LESS, the church of, is situated within the principal gate of Bartholomew's Hospital, on the south-east side of West Smithfield. It was originally a chapel to the hospital, and was founded in the year 1102; but at the dissolution of the priory, it was converted into a parish church for the inhabitants of the precinct of the hospital. It is a vicarage, in the gift of the Lord Mayor, Aldermen, and Common Council of the City, as governors of the hospital. The church is an old fabric, but was tastefully and substantially repaired, and the interior rebuilt in 1823, by Philip Hardwick, Esq., the surveyor to the hospitaL The present vicar is the Rev. Samuel Wix, who was instituted by the governors in 1808." [J. Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Brian Randell]
This parish is located in Farringdon Without Ward.
Online Parish Register Images and Indexes for St Bartholomew the Less are provided by, or at various subscription sites via, the LDS FamilySearch wiki.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Bartholomew the Less to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Bartholomew the Less has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Summary history of St Bartholomew the Less parish, from the Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks.
St.Bartholomew's: hospital, museum, church, art gallery and film set, from London-In-Sight Blog. [Lavishly illustrated]
The History of Barts: The Royal and Ancient Hospital of St Bartholomew, by The Friends of the Great Hall & Archive of St Bartholomew's Hospital - a well-illustrated detailed account, including a large number of biographical notes.
Public Houses, Inns & Taverns of the parish of St Bartholomew the Less - provides "information from census records, trade directories, etc."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ319816 (Lat/Lon: 51.51788, -0.100636), St Bartholomew the Less which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Surnames from the 1881 census in the St Bartholomew Less district.
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for St Bartholomew the Less parish, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.