Hide

St Dionis Backchurch

hide
Hide

"ST. DIONIS back CHURCH, is situated near the south-west corner of Lime-street, behind the houses on the north side of Fenchurch-street. It derives its name from being dedicated to St. Dionis, Dionisius, or Denis, as it is called in various languages, an Athenian Areopagite, or judge, who was converted to Christianity, and became Bishop of Athens. He travelled into France, where having been beheaded by the Pagan Gauls, he carried his head two miles after it was cut off, and became a popish saint and patron of France. The addition "Back-church" was given to this church from its situation, and to distinguish it from the church of St. Gabriel, which stood in front of the street. The ancient church was destroyed by the great fire in 1666, and rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren in 1674, who added the tower and steeple in 1684. . . . The oldest authentic mention of this church and parish is in 1288, when Reginald de Standon was its rector. It is one of the thirteen peculiars in the city, belonging to the Archbishop of Canterbury. . . It is a rectory, in the province of Canterbury, and the present incumbent is the Hon. George Pellew, D.D., Dean of Norwich, and a Prebendary of York, who was instituted by the Dean and Chapter in 1829." [James Elmes. A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Brian Randell]

Hide

This parish - no. 57 in the above map - is located in Langbourn Ward.
The church was destroyed in 1666, rebuilt by Wren, demolished 1878.
The parish was later united with Allhallows Lombard Street 1876, St Edmund the King and Martyr 1937.

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

London Metropolitan Archive holdings for St Dionis Backchurch.

topup

Church History

Online Parish Register Images and Indexes for St Dionis Backchurch parish are provided by, or at various subscription sites via, the LDS FamilySearch wiki.

Winnett, A.R. A History of St Dionis Backchurch and St Dionis, Parson's Green. Church Army Press (1935).
topup

Church Records

Non-Church of England denominations identified in St Dionis Backchurch include: Baptist, Reformed Quaker, and Society of Friends/Quaker [LDS FamilySearch Wiki].

Chester, J. L. (ed.), The reiester booke of Saynte De'nis, Backchurch parishe (City of London) for maryages, christenyges, and buryalles, begynnynge in the yeare of Our Lord God 1538 London (1878). [Full text]
topup

Description & Travel

Wikipedia page on St Dionis Backchurch.

World Heritage Encycyclopedia page on St Dionis Backchurch.

You can see pictures of St Dionis Backchurch which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which St Dionis Backchurch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Summary history of St Dionis Backchurch parish, from the Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks.

topup

Land & Property

Public Houses, Inns & Taverns of the parish of St Dionis Backchurch - provides "information from census records, trade directories, etc."

topup

Maps

Plan of the Parish of St Dionis Backchurch in 1847 from COLLAGE, the London Picture Archive.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ331809 (Lat/Lon: 51.511786, -0.083175), St Dionis Backchurch which are provided by:

topup

Names, Personal

Surnames from the 1881 census in the St Dionis Backchurch district.

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

St Dionis Backchurch - a very detailed account, in London Lives 1690 to 1800 of the parish, its population, economy, poor relief, etc., with many extensive datasets -Parish Account Books, Clothing Books, Workhouse Inquest Minute Books, Parish Minute Books, Vestry Minutes, Miscellaneous Papers, Churchwarden Voucher/Receipts, Letters Seeking Pauper Relief, Register of Poor Infants, Bastardy Bonds (1600s-1800s). The original documents (and transcripts) are all browsable online.

topup

Taxation

Sources for listings of taxpayer names for St Dionis Backchurch parish, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.