St George Botolph-lane
"ST. GEORGE'S CHURCH, Botolph-lane, the church of, is situated a few houses on the right from Little Eastcheap. It derives its name from the ancient English Saint George of Cappadocia. It is an ancient rectory, Robert de Haliwell being rector in 1321, and was originally in the gift of the Abbott and Convent of St. Saviour, Bermondsey, at whose dissolution it came to the crown. The old church was burned down in 1666, and the present edifice erected in 1674, by Sir Christopher Wren. . . . It is fifty-four feet in length, thirty-six in breadth, and thirty-six in height. After the fire, the parish of St. Botolph, Billingsgate (see that church), was united by act of parliament to this parish. That parish was also a rectory, the advowson of which was anciently in lay hands, but in 1194 was suc- cessfully claimed by the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, under a deed of gift from Odgarus. It continued with them till its union with St. George, when the patronage was exerted by them and the crown, alternately. It is in the city and archdeaconry of London, and the present rector is the Rev. Charles Champness, a Minor Canon of Windsor, who was instituted by the King in 1825." [James Elmes. A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Brian Randell]
This parish - no. 93 in the above map - is located in Billingsgate Ward.
The church was destroyed in 1666, rebuilt by Wren, demolished 1901-4.
The parish was later united with St Mary at Hill 1901.
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for St George Botolph-lane.
Online Parish Register Images and Indexes for St George Botolph-lane parish are provided by, or at various subscription sites via, the LDS FamilySearch wiki.
No non-Church of England denominations have been identified for St George Botolph-Lane with St Botolph Billingsgate [LDS FamilySearch Wiki].
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St George Botolph-lane to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St George Botolph-lane has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Summary history of St George Botolph-lane parish, from the Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks.
Public Houses, Inns & Taverns of the parish of St George Botolph-lane - provides "information from census records, trade directories, etc."
Plan of the Parish of St George Botolph-lane in 1881 from COLLAGE, the London Picture Archive.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ330808 (Lat/Lon: 51.51023, -0.084683), St George Botolph-lane which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Surnames from the 1881 census in the St George Botolph Lane district.
Clerical career summaries for the parish of (i) St George Botolph-lane and (ii) St George Botolph-Lane With St Botolph Billingsgate, from the Clergy of the Church of England Database website.
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for St George Botolph-lane parish, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.