St John the Baptist Walbrook
"ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, the church of, was situated, before the fire of London, at the corner of Dowgate-hill and Cloak-lane; but after that calamity it was united to the adjoining parish of St. Anthony." [James Elmes. A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Brian Randell]
This parish - no. 66 in the above map - is located in Walbrook Ward.
The church was destroyed in 1666 and not rebuilt, just a small portion of churchyard remains.
The parish was later united with St Antholin Budge Row 1670, and St Mary Aldermary in 1873.
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for St John the Baptist Walbrook.
Online Parish Register Images and Indexes for St John the Baptist Walbrook parish are provided by, or at various subscription sites via, the LDS FamilySearch wiki.
No non-Church of England denominations have been identified for St Antholin with St John the Baptist upon Wallbrook [LDS FamilySearch Wiki]. 1660)
Chester, J.L. and Armytage, G.J. The parish registers of St. Antholin, Budge Row, London, containing the marriages, baptisms, and burials from 1538 to 1754, and of St. John Baptist on Wallbrook, London containing the Baptisms and Burials from 1682-1754. London (1883) 282 pp. [Full text]
Wikipedia page on St John the Baptist Walbrook.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St John the Baptist Walbrook to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St John the Baptist Walbrook has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Summary history of St John the Baptist Walbrook parish, from the Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks.
Public Houses, Inns & Taverns of the parish of St John the Baptist Walbrook - provides "information from census records, trade directories, etc."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ326809 (Lat/Lon: 51.511481, -0.090916), St John the Baptist Walbrook which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Clerical career summaries for the parish of (i) St John the Baptist Walbrook and (ii) St Antholin With St John The Baptist Upon Walbrook, from the Clergy of the Church of England Database website.
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for St John the Baptist Walbrook parish, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.