St Margaret Lothbury
"ST. MARGARET, Lothbury, the church of, is situated on the north side of Lothbury, opposite the south front of the Bank of England. It derives its name from being dedicated to St. Margaret, a virgin saint of Antioch . . . The ancient church, which was built in 1440, being destroyed by the great fire of 1666, the present stone edifice was erected by Sir Christopher Wren, and finished in 1690. It stands upon the ancient course of Wall-brook, and is a plain substantial building. . . At the time when the church of St. Christopher-le-Stocks was pulled down to make way for the west end of the Bank of England, by Princes-street, that parish was united to it by act of parliament. The advowson is a rectory in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London, and in the patronage of the bishop of that see. The present rector is the Rev. J. B. Hollingworth, B.D., Archdeacon of Hunts, and perpetual Curate of St. Botolph, Aldgate, who was instituted in 1814." [James Elmes. A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Brian Randell]
This parish - no. 22 in the above map - is located in Coleman Street Ward.
The church dates from before the Great Fire, and was rebuilt by Wren 1686-1700.
It was united with St. Bartholomew by the Royal Exchange and St. Christopher-le-Stocks.
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for St Margaret Lothbury.
Lothbury and Woolnoth - histories of the combined parish of St Margaret Lothbury and St Mary Woolnoth from the parish website.
Freshfield, Edwin. On the parish books of St. Margaret-Lothbury, St. Christopher-le-Stocks, and St. Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange, in the city of London. London: Printed by J. B. Nichols and Sons (1876) 67pp. [Full text]
Online Parish Register Images and Indexes for St Margaret Lothbury parish are provided by, or at various subscription sites via, the LDS FamilySearch wiki.
Non-Church of England denominations identified in St Margaret Lothbury with St Christopher le Stocks and St Bartholomew by the Exchange include: Independent/Congregational and Presbyterian [LDS FamilySearch Wiki].
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Margaret Lothbury to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Margaret Lothbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Summary history of St Margaret Lothbury parish, from the Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks.
Plan of the Parish of St Margaret Lothbury in 1835 from COLLAGE, the London Picture Archive.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ327813 (Lat/Lon: 51.514777, -0.088786), St Margaret Lothbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for St Margaret Lothbury parish, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.