St Margaret Pattens
"ST. MARGARET PATTENS, the church of, is situated at the south-east corner of Rood-lane, Fenchurch-street, and derives its name from its dedication to the before-mentioned St. Margaret, and its addition from being situated in a lane occupied at that time by only makers and sellers of pattens. The original foundation of this church was in or before 1324. . . The old church was burned down in the dreadful fire of 1666, and the present edifice elected in 1687 by Sir Christopher Wren. The interior is 66 feet in length, 52 in breadth, and 32 in height, lighted by a range of arched windows. At the time of the fire the ancient church of St. Gabriel Fenchurch was also burned down, and the parish was united by act of parliament to that of St. Margaret Pattens. . . This united parish church is a rectory in the city, diocese and archdeaconry o£ London, and in the alternate patronage of the Lord Chancellor one turn, the Lord Mayor and Court of Aldermen one turn, and the Lord Mayor and Common Council one turn. The present rector is the Rev. Charles Phelips, who was instituted by the Lord Chancellor in 1792." [James Elmes. A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Brian Randell]
This parish - no. 88 in the above map - is located in Billingsgate Ward.
The church dates from before the Great Fire, and was rebuilt by Wren 1684.
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for St Margaret Pattens.
Online Parish Register Images and Indexes for St Margaret Pattens parish are provided by, or at various subscription sites via, the LDS FamilySearch wiki.
No non-Church of England denominations have been identified for St Margaret Pattens with St Gabriel Fenchurch [LDS FamilySearch Wiki].
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Margaret Pattens to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Margaret Pattens has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Summary history of St Margaret Pattens parish, from the Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks.
Public Houses, Inns & Taverns of the parish of St Margaret Pattens - provides "information from census records, trade directories, etc."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ331808 (Lat/Lon: 51.510797, -0.082697), St Margaret Pattens which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Surnames from the 1881 census in the St Margaret Pattens district.
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for St Margaret Pattens parish, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.