St Mildred Poultry
"ST. MILDRED IN THE POULTRY, the church of, dedicated to the same saint, as the preceding, stands at the corner of St. Mildred's-court, on the north side of the Poultry, nearly opposite Walbrook. It is of ancient foundation, for John de Aswell was collated to it in 1325. The ancient church was burned down in 1666, and the present substantial edifice erected in its stead, by Sir Christopher Wren, in 1676, and the parish of St. Mary Cole, or Colechurch, was united to it by act of parliament. This church is in the patronage of the Mercers' Company, and that of St. Mildred, since the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII., to the crown. The united parishes are a rectory, in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London, and in the before mentioned alternate patronage. The present rector is the Rev. Richard Crawley, Rector of Rotherfield, who was instituted by the Lord Chancellor in 1807." [James Elmes. A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Brian Randell]
This parish - no. 23 in the above map - is located in Cheap Ward.
The church was destroyed in 1666, rebuilt by Wren, sold 1872, soon demolished.
The parish was later united with St Olave Jewry 1871, St Margaret Lothbury 1886.
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for St Mildred Poultry.
Milbourn, Thomas. The history of the Church of St. Mildred the Virgin, Poultry, in the city of London, with some particulars of the Church of St. Mary Colechurch, (destroyed in the great fire, A.D. 1666.) London, J. R. Smith, (1872) 132 pp. [Full text]
Online Parish Register Images and Indexes for St Mildred Poultry parish are provided by, or at various subscription sites via, the LDS FamilySearch wiki.
Independent/Congregational is the only identified non-Church of England denomination in St Mildred Poultry with St Mary Colechurch [LDS FamilySearch Wiki].
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Mildred Poultry to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Mildred Poultry has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Summary history of St Mildred Poultry parish, from the Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks.
Plan of the Parish of St Mildred Poultry in 1771 from COLLAGE, the London Picture Archive.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ326812 (Lat/Lon: 51.513737, -0.089988), St Mildred Poultry which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for St Mildred Poultry parish, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.