St Peter le Poer Bread-street
"ST. PETER-LE-POOR, the church of, is situated on the western side of Old Broad-street, nearly opposite the south corner of the Excise Office. This church is of very ancient origin, as appears from a register of it, so far back as 1181. It is dedicated to St. Peter the Apostle, and was called le-poor, as Stowe thinks, from the poor and mean condition of its inhabitants in ancient times. It is a very handsome modern church, built by Jesse Gibson, Esq., in 1791. The advowson of this church appears to have been, from the earliest times, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, with whom it still continues. It is a rectory, in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London, and its present Rector is the Rev. James Simkinson, who was instituted in 1792." [James Elmes. A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Brian Randell]
This parish - no. 15 in the above map - is located in Broad Street Ward.
The church was rebuilt in 1792, sold 1907, soon demolished.
The parish was later united with St Michael Cornhill 1906.
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for St Peter le Poer Bread-street.
Online Parish Register Images and Indexes for St Peter le Poer Bread-street parish are provided by, or at various subscription sites via, the LDS FamilySearch wiki.
Non-Church of England denominations identified in St Peter le Poer with St Benet Fink include: Baptist (Seventh Day), Dutch Church, and French Church [LDS FamilySearch Wiki].
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Peter le Poer Bread-street to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Peter le Poer Bread-street has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Summary history of St Peter le Poer Bread-street parish, from the Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks.
1876 map of St Peter le Poor - illustration of the location covered, and of archive(s) holding a copy, provided by the Catalogue of British Town Maps.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ330813 (Lat/Lon: 51.51539, -0.085209), St Peter le Poer Bread-street which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for St Peter le Poer Bread-street parish, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.