"ST. SEPULCHRE'S, the church of, is situated on Snow-hill, at the corner of Giltspur-street, and is so named in commemoration of the Holy Sepulchre at Jerusalem. This church is supposed to have heen founded about 1100, at which time a particular devotion was paid to the Holy Sepulchre. It was so decayed in the reign of Edward IV. as to require re-building. . . . The church was much damaged by the great fire of 1666, when it was repaired, and the present ugly and inappropriate arched ceiling introduced, which it will be well to remove, and restore to its former beautiful construction whenever another repair be necessary. It is a vicarage, in the city, archdeaconry and diocese of London, and in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford. The present rector is the Rev. John Natt, who was instituted in 1630." [J. Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Brian Randell]
This parish is located in Farringdon Without Ward.
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for St Sepulchre.
Biographical account of John Rogers, rector of Holy Trinity the Less and later vicar of St Sepulchre, Bible editor and martyr, who was found guilty of heresy and burnt at the stake in 1555.
The churchyard is described in an assessment of heritage significance for churchyards in the CIty of London, which also mentions another burial ground in Chick Lane, Smithfield, for the burial of the parish poor.
St. Sepulchre-without-Newgate ~ London’s largest church, home of the ‘Bell of Old Bailey’ & a connection to Pocahontas - an account from the London Unveiled website
St Sepulchre Holborn (corner Newgate and Giltspur Street), and its sculptural interest - provided by Bob Speel.
History page from the St Sepulchre website.
St Sepulchre. 18th Century Bachelors. by Mike Paterson.
Online Parish Register Images and Indexes for St Sepulchre are provided by, or at various subscription sites via, the LDS FamilySearch wiki.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Sepulchre to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Sepulchre has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Public Houses, Inns & Taverns of the parish of St Sepulchre - provides "information from census records, trade directories, etc."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ318814 (Lat/Lon: 51.516155, -0.101912), St Sepulchre which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Surnames from the 1881 census in the St Sepulchre London district.
St Sepulchre Poor Law Records 1765-1844 were at British Origins - now on Find My Past (subscription).
A report from the committee to whom the petition of the churchwardens, overseers of the poor, and great numbers of the inhabitants of the several parishes of St. Giles in the Fields, the Liberty of Saffron-Hill, Hattongarden, and Ely Rents in the parish of St. Andrew Holbourn; St. Dunstan Stepney, St. Paul Shadwell, St. Anne in Middlesex, St. Sepulchres in Middlesex, St. Luke, Middlesex, and St. James Clerkenwell in the County of Middlesex, whose names are thereunto subscribed on behalf of themselves. London, (1737) 50 pp. [Full text]