St Stephen Coleman-street
"ST. STEPHEN, Coleman-street, the church of, is situated near the south end of the west side of this street, and derives its name and addition from its dedication to St. Stephen, the protomartyr, and from its situation. This church is of great antiquity, and was originally a chapel belonging to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, who, between 1171 and 1181, granted it to the Prior and Abbot of Butley, in Suffolk. It was made parochial in 1456, under the patronage of the said prior and abbot, till its suppression by Henry VIII., when it came to the crown. . . The ancient church shared the common fate in the great fire of 1606, and the present structure was finished in 1676, from the designs of Sir Christopher Wren. The advowson is a vicarage, in the city, archdeaconry and diocese of London, and in the patronage of the parishioners. The present incumbent is the Rev. Josiah Pratt, who was elected by the parishioners in 1823." [James Elmes. A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Brian Randell]
This parish - no. 13 in the above map - is located in Coleman Street Ward.
The church was destroyed in 1666, rebuilt by Wren, damaged 1940, site sold.
The parish was later united with St Margaret Lothbury 1954.
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for St Stephen Coleman-street.
Pratt, Josiah. Memoir of the Rev. Josiah Pratt, B.D., late Vicar of St. Stephen's, Coleman Street, and for twenty-one years Secretary of the Church Missionary Society. London: Seeleys (1849) 538 pp. [Full text]
Summary history of St Stephen Coleman-street parish, from the Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks.
Online Parish Register Images and Indexes for St Stephen Coleman-street parish are provided by, or at various subscription sites via, the LDS FamilySearch wiki.
Non-Church of England denominations identified in St Stephen Coleman Street include: Baptist, Church of Scotland in England/Presbyterian Church in England, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, Unitarian, and Welsh Baptist [LDS FamilySearch Wiki].
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Stephen Coleman-street to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Stephen Coleman-street has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Coleman Street (including Bell Alley and Swan Alley), from the website of the 'People, Property and Charity: The Clothworkers' Company,1500-1688' project.
Potions, Powders and Ointments: a Post-Medieval Apothecary or Druggist Assemblage and Coleman Street, a detailed well-illustrated account by Jon Sygrave and others of an archaeological investigation.
Johns, Adrian. Coleman Street. Huntingdon Library Quarterly, vol. 71, No. 1 (2008)pp. 33-54. [Full text]
Public Houses, Inns & Taverns of the parish of St Stephen Coleman-street - provides "information from census records, trade directories, etc."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ328815 (Lat/Lon: 51.517245, -0.087316), St Stephen Coleman-street which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for St Stephen Coleman-street parish, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.