St Thomas Apostle
"5T. THOMAS THE APOSTLE, the church of, stood before the fire of London in the cemetery, at the corner of Queen-street, Cheapside, but since the fire of London the parish has been united to that of St. Mary, Aldermary." [James Elmes. A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Brian Randell]
This parish - no. 80 in the above map - is located in Vintry Ward.
The church was destroyed in 1666, rebuilt by Wren, damaged 1940, site sold c.1960.
The parish was later united with St Stephen Walbrook 1954.
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for St Thomas Apostle.
Online Parish Register Images and Indexes for St Thomas Apostle parish are provided by, or at various subscription sites via, the LDS FamilySearch wiki.
Presbyterian is the only identified non-Church of England denomination in St Mary Aldermary with St Thomas the Apostle [LDS FamilySearch Wiki].
Chester, J.L. (ed) The Parish Registers of St. Thomas the Apostle, London, 1558 To 1754. Harleian Society, London (1881 198 pp. [Full text]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Thomas Apostle to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Thomas Apostle has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Summary history of St Thomas Apostle parish, from the Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks.
Public Houses, Inns & Taverns of the parish of St Thomas Apostle - provides "information from census records, trade directories, etc."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ325809 (Lat/Lon: 51.511899, -0.092649), St Thomas Apostle which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for St Thomas Apostle parish, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.