"WALBROOK, is a street on the west side of the Mansion-house and extends from, Charlotte-row to Cannon-street, and Dowgate-hill. It derives its name from an ancient rivulet, called Wall-brook, on account of its entering the city through the wall, between Bishopsgate and Moorgate, which after many turnings, ran down this street, and emptied itself into the Thames, near Dowgate. It is now covered over, and used as a common sewer. WALBROOK WARD derives its name from the before-named street, and is bounded on the east by Langbourn and Candlewick Wards, on the north by Cheap Ward, on the west by Cordwainer's Ward, and on the south by Dowgate Ward." [J. Elme , A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831)- transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for Walbrook Ward.
Walbrook Ward - photographs and maps from the London Burial Grounds website.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Walbrook Ward to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Walbrook Ward has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Allen, Thomas. The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and parts adjacent. Continued to the present time. London: G. Virtue (1839) 3 vols. [Full text - Walbrook Ward]
Stow, John and John Nottley. A Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster, borough of Southwark, and parts adjacent. London, Printed for T. Read (1733-35) 2 vols. [Full text - Walbrook Ward]
Thomas, Henry The Wards of London: Comprising a Historical and Topographical Description of Every Object of Importance Within the Boundaries of the City. With an Account of All the Companies, Institutions, Buildings, Ancient Remains &c., &c., and Biographical Sketches of All Eminent Persons Connected Therewith London: J. Gifford (1828) 2 vols. [Walbrook Ward]
Blome's 1754 Map of Walbrook Ward and Dowgate Ward.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ326810 (Lat/Lon: 51.512374, -0.09054), Walbrook Ward which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for Walbrook Ward, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.