Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ACTON, a parish in the Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 2 miles N.E. of Brentford, and 5¾ W. of London, on the Oxford road." (There is more of this description).
"STEYNE, a hamlet in the parish of Acton, county Middlesex, 6 miles W. of St. Paul's. [Steyne Road is on 2003 maps.]"
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Acton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Acton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ200803 (Lat/Lon: 51.508897, -0.272258), Acton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)