Our lists giving location and history of Poplar deanery churches includes those in this parish.
Civil registration records for Bow parish are now held by Tower Hamlets Register Office, who are developing an index to the records.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BOW, (or Stratford-le-bow), a parish in the Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 3 miles to the E. of St. Paul's. " (There is more of this description).
"OLD FORD, a hamlet in the parish of Bow, hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, a quarter of a mile N. of Stratford-le-Bow, and 4 miles E. by N. of St. Paul's, London. It is a station on the Great Eastern railway. It is situated at the bridge on the river Lea, and is included in the borough of the Tower Hamlets. Here are, situated the East London water and British gas works. There are chemical works, and various other manufactories. In the neighbourhood is the gate of an old seat called King John's palace.
[On 2003 maps, Old Ford is also a nearby junction on the approach to the Blackwall Tunnel.]"
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bow to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ375830 (Lat/Lon: 51.529176, -0.019192), Bow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)