|Our Lady of Holy Souls, Kensal Green, Roman Catholic|
|St Mary, Chelsea, Roman Catholic|
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CHELSEA, a petty sessions town, and extensive suburban district of London, comprising the parishes of Upper Chelsea, Lower Chelsea and part of Knightsbridge, being locally in the Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 3 miles S.W. of St. Paul's. " (There is more of this description).
"CREMORNE HOUSE, in the parish of Chelsea, hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 2 miles S.W. of St. Paul's, London. It is situated on the river Thames, and is now a place of amusement, but once the seat of Viscount Cremorne. [Cremorne Road is on modern maps as the continuation Westwards of Cheyne Walk. ]"
"LITTLE CHELSEA, a hamlet partly in the parish of Chelsea and partly in that of Kensington, hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, half a mile S.W. of Chelsea. It contains St. George's workhouse, formerly the residence of the earls of Shaftesbury; Chelsea Park, the Pavilion, and the "Goat and Boots" inn, the sign of which was originally painted by Moreland.
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chelsea to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Chelsea has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ271777 (Lat/Lon: 51.48398, -0.170942), Chelsea which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)