|Christ Church, Turnham Green, Church of England|
|St Nicholas, Chiswick, Church of England|
|St Paul's, Chiswick, Church of England|
|Gunnersbury Baptist Church lecture hall, Gunnersbury, Baptist|
|Gunnersbury Baptist Church, Gunnersbury, Baptist|
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CHISWICK, a parish in the Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, forming a sort of peninsula, nearly surrounded by the river Thames, 7 miles by road, and 5 miles by the South-Western railway, from London. " (There is more of this description).
"TURNHAM GREEN, a village in the parish of Chiswick, county Middlesex, 7 miles S.W. of St. Paul's, and 4 from Richmond. It is situated near the river Thames, on the great western road. On the S. side of the Green are the Horticultural Society's Gardens. The Earl of Essex encamped here in 1642, and Waller in 1643. There are traces of the old Roman way from Staines, and many Roman coins were discovered here in 1731. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is named Christchurch. The Wesleyans have a chapel."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chiswick to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Chiswick has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ212785 (Lat/Lon: 51.492464, -0.255594), Chiswick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)