|Mount Zion Baptist (now Angel Baptist), Clerkenwell, Strict Baptist|
|Vernon Baptist Church (now Kings Cross Baptist Church), Kings Cross, Baptist|
|Welsh Congregationalist Chapel, Kings Cross, Congregational|
Clerkenwell churches are included in our list for Finsbury.
Some of the registers of St James Clerkenwell have been published in the Harleian Society Register Series:
|9||Christenings 1551-1700||Available on the internet archive|
Coldbath Fields Prison was a House of Correction in Clerkenwell. There is a brief description and picture on the Spartacus Educational website.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CLERKENWELL, a parish and suburban district of London, in the Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 1 mile N. of St. Paul's. " (There is more of this description).
"COLNEY HATCH-LANE, a hamlet in the parish of Clerkenwell, in the Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, adjoining Muswell Hill, and 1½ mile from the Colney Hatch railway station."
"PENTONVILLE, a suburban district of London and chapelry in the parish of Clerkenwell, Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 1½ mile N.E. of St. Paul's. " (There is more of this description).
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clerkenwell to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Clerkenwell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ312822 (Lat/Lon: 51.523484, -0.110256), Clerkenwell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
An index to the Clerkenwell St James Settlement Examinations 1778-1851, has been produced and is available on microfiche from LWMFHS.