Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"EAST BEDFONT, a parish in the hundred of Spelthorne, in the county of Middlesex, 13 miles to the W. of London. It is situated on the great west road, about 3 miles from Staines, and the same distance from Hounslow, its post town. It includes the hamlet of Hatton. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of London, value £300, including fees, &c., in the patronage of the bishop, who is impropriator of the great tithes. The church, an ancient building with a Saxon porch, is dedicated to St. Mary. It has latterly been enlarged, and the interior much improved; it also contains several ancient monuments. Opposite the porch is an arch formed by two yew-trees trimmed to represent two peacocks fighting; the one bears the date 1704, and the other the letters "I. H. J. G. R. T.," supposed to be the initials of the then vicar and churchwardens. A handsome National school for the education of 120 children was erected here in 1847 by subscription.
"HATTON, a hamlet in the parish of East Bedfont, hundred of Spelthorne, county Middlesex, 3 miles W. of Hounslow, and 5 S.W. of Brentford. It is situated near Hatton Brook."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Bedfont to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which East Bedfont has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ085737 (Lat/Lon: 51.451898, -0.439923), East Bedfont which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)