"FINSBURY, one of the metropolitan boroughs, comprising parts of the Finsbury and Holborn divisions of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, with other places of exempt jurisdiction, as the Rolls, Lincoln's, Gray's, Furnival's, and Staple's Inns. It returns two members to parliament, under the provisions of the Reform Act, the right of election being vested in the £10 householders. The Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, besides the places included within the borough of Finsbury, comprehends Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey, Islington, the Old Artillery Ground, and Glass-house Yard. It was anciently, as its name implies, the Fenny district, lying without the City Walls, and including the unfenced marshy tract of Moorfields, across which causeways were constructed in 1415 to Hoxton and Islington. In 1527 the site now occupied by Finsbury square and the adjoining neighbourhood was drained, and many of those who died in the Great Plague were buried here. It constituted the prebend of Halliwell and Finsbury in St. Paul's Cathedral, which has been held under lease by the city since the 14th century, but will expire in 1867, when the Church will acquire a rental of about £50,000. "
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.