Finsbury parishes in 1890/1903
Much of the information on this page was provided by John Henley, who regularly answers questions on mailing lists about Middlesex parishes and churches.
Here is a list of all the Anglican churches of Clerkenwell, and St Lukes Old Street in 1890/1903. with date founded (and closed where appropriate) where known. The first-named in each group is usually the parent parish to those within it, but the area contained many Liberties and extra-parochial places. Original registers if not still with church are mostly deposited in the London Metropolitan Archives. See the LMA Catlaogue and enter the name as given below in block capitals.
For civil administration most of the parishes founded before 1837 also became civil parishes. The county was Middlesex until 1890, then the new County of London. The liberties, parishes and vestries became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury in 1900. In 1964 Finsbury M.B. became part of the new London Borough of Islington.
I've tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to www.familysearch.org and Browse > Browse Library Catalogue > Placename Search [enter Clerkenwell or Finsbury or St.Luke Old Street] and select the one in Middlesex - it can be picky about the spelling of the placename, if no luck first time try all possible variations] > Church Records and Church Records-Indexes, you will see a list of all the LDS film holdings. Batch numbers are on the archived version of the NZ SoG Hamilton site and IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places A to M and IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places N to Z provided by Hugh Wallis. Some churches may appear on the BVRI rather than the IGI. If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers.[which may not be complete].
Clerkenwell, St James, (ancient parish)
Clerkenwell, St.James, Clerkenwell Green , still open. Originally converted from the church of the dissolved convent of St.Mary of Clerkenwell, re-named St.James. The church slowly fell into ruin and was demolished in 1788. The present building was erected on Clerkenwell Green in 1792.
SAINT JAMES, CLERKENWELL, CLERKENWELL GREEN, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 6 on outline map
Mission Chapel (St.James's) Rosomon Street, [18??] in previous parish.
Clerkenwell, St.James, Pentonville Road [Pentonville Chapel (proprietary) 1778, chapel of ease to previous, 1790, parish 1854] redundant and demolished 1985. Unclaimed bodies from vaults were reverently re-interred in Manor Park Cemetery. The grave of the clown Grimaldi has been restored and is cared for.
SAINT JAMES, PENTONVILLE, PENTONVILLE ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 1 on outline map
Note also SAINT SILAS, PENTONVILLE, PENTON STREET, ISLINGTON created from St James in 1868.
Clerkenwell, St.Mark, Myddelton Square  still open - parish united with Holy Redeemer, Clerkenwell. The former church website had a brief history of the church.
SAINT MARK, MYDDELTON SQUARE, MYDDELTON SQUARE, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 4 on outline map
Clerkenwell, St.Paul, Pear Street, Goswell Road  Most of parish actually from St.Luke, Old Street. Bombed and burnt out 1940, parish united to St.Luke, 1953.
SAINT PAUL, CLERKENWELL, PEAR TREE STREET, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 11 on outline map
Clerkenwell, St.Peter's, Ashley Street (otherwise St Peter, St John Street Road or The Smithfield Martyrs' Memorial Church)  damaged by bombs 1940, repaired, closed and demolished 1956.Parish united to St.James' Clerkenwell.
SAINT PETER, CLERKENWELL (SMITHFIELD MARTYRS MEMORIAL CHURCH), SAINT JOHN STREET, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 7 on outline map
Clerkenwell, St.Philip, Granville Square [1835, parish 1840] Out of St. Mark's, Myddleton Square. Closed and demolished 1936, site became a park, parish united with Holy Redeemer.
SAINT PHILIP, CLERKENWELL, GRANVILLE SQUARE, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 2 on outline map
Clerkenwell, [Our Most] Holy Redeemer, (Exmouth Market)  Out of previous, began as St.Philip's Mission in Tysoe Street in 1875, moved to Wilmington Square as St.Etheldreda's Chapel 1880, re-named Holy Redeemer, 1881. Gift of site for permanent church in Exmouth Street meant taking in part of St.James' parish as well - still open. An old version of the church website (now archived) had a brief history.
HOLY REDEEMER, EXMOUTH MARKET, FINSBURY, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 3 on outline map
Clerkenwell, St. John, St.John Square,  At the dissolution the Priory of St.John of Jerusalem in Clerkenwell was sold, and the stone of the circular nave used to build the first Somerset House. Lady Burleigh repaired the remains of the church for a private chapel, c.1600. Used by the Presbyterians from 1706, in 1721 bought by a local couple, restored and sold to Queen Anne's Commissioners for a parish church. 1931 ceased to be a parish church, becoming church for the Order of St.John (of ambulance fame). Blitzed, restored and re-opened in 1958 as the Grand Priory Church of the order.
SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, CLERKENWELL, SAINT JOHN'S SQUARE, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 10 on outline map
St Luke, Old Street [out of St.Giles' Cripplegate Without 1733 which was partly in the City of London] closed 1959 (unsafe) Now repaired and turned into orchestra home. Parish re-united with St.Giles.
SAINT LUKE, OLD STREET, FINSBURY, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 12 on outline map
St Luke Old Street, St.Barnabas, King Square, (now called St.Clement!) [consecrated 1826, separate parish 1842] bombed and closed 1940, used for storing furniture from damaged churches, restored,re-opened 1954 as St.Clement's. There is a church webpage
SAINT BARNABAS, FINSBURY, KING SQUARE, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 8 on outline map
St Luke Old Street, St.Clement, City Road (Lever St., Nelson St./Mora St.)  bombed 1940, 1952 parish united to previous.
SAINT CLEMENT, CITY ROAD, CITY ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 9 on outline map
St Luke Old Street, St.Mary, Charterhouse, Playhouse Yard, Golden Lane  bombed 1940. parish re- united to St.Luke's, 1952
SAINT MARY, CHARTERHOUSE, CHARTERHOUSE, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 15 on outline map
St Luke Old Street, St.Matthew, City Road, (Oakley Crescent)  [do NOT confuse with St.Matthew, Oakley Square, St.Pancras) bombed 1940. Parish united to St. Barnabas, King Sq.1952
SAINT MATTHEW, CITY ROAD, CITY ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 5 on outline map
St Luke Old Street, St.Paul Finsbury, Bunhill Row.  - closed 1932, church demolished 1933. Parish united to Charterhouse St.Mary.
SAINT PAUL, BUNHILL ROW, BUNHILL ROW, ISLINGTON in LMA database (ROWN is presumably a mis-spelling)
Parish is no. 16 on outline map
St Luke Old Street, Mission chapel to previous [18??] no further details known.
St Luke Old Street, St.Thomas Charterhouse, Goswell Road, [1842 from Charterhouse extra-parochial place] - Closed 1906, the first victim of falling population. Demolished 1909. Parish United to St.Mary Charterhouse.
SAINT THOMAS, CHARTERHOUSE, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 14 on outline map
Merchant Taylors' Chapel
Extra parochial place within this geographic area
SUTTON'S HOSPITAL, CHARTERHOUSE, FINSBURY in LMA database
No. 13 on outline map
A history of the Charterhouse site and Sutton's Hospital is on an archived version of the Charterhouse School website (which is now at Godalming, Surrey).