Hide

Fulham

hide
Hide

“FULHAM, a parish in the Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 2 miles S. of Hammersmith, and 6 S.W. of the General Post-Office. It is situated in a bend of the Thames, being bounded on the E., S., and W. by that river, and is opposite Putney, with which it is connected by a bridge. Parsons Green, Walham Green, and North End, are included in the parish, and Hammersmith formed part of it till 1834, when that was made a separate parish.

This place traces its history very far back; towards the close of the 7th century, in the reign of Offa, it is noticed as Fullenham, when it was given to the Bishop of London, and has continued to be the property of that see till the present time. In 879 the Danes established themselves here and formed an encampment. The place was also occupied by the forces of the parliament in the reign of Charles I. A considerable portion of the parish is laid out in nursery grounds and market gardens, producing large quantities of asparagus. The village, situated on the N. bank of the Thames, consists of three irregular built streets, and of several ranges of handsome modern houses in the direction of Walham Green, with detached villas. It is partially paved, lighted with gas, and supplied with water. Here are some potteries for the manufacture of the coarser kinds of earthenware. The Fulham Union workhouse, a modern red brick building, is in this parish, as also four lunatic asylums belonging to private individuals, the principal of which is Dr. Elliot's, Munster House, once a hunting-seat of Charles II. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of London, value £835, in the patronage of the bishop, who is also lord of the manor. The church, an ancient stone edifice, with tower erected in the 14th century, is dedicated to All Saints, and contains tombs, tablets, and other monumental records of many of the bishops of London, and a brass of 1529. There are also two district churches, viz: St. John's, Walham Green, a perpetual curacy,* value £180, in the gift of the vicar; and St. Mary's, North End, a perpetual curacy The endowments of the parish amount to upwards of £600 per annum; the principal of which are Bishop King's, producing £122, Bishop Porteus's £23, and the almshouse, with an income of about £80 per annum. The Roman Catholics have a handsome church, dedicated to St. Thomas. It is a stone structure with tower, and has a cemetery attached. The Wesleyans have two places of worship, and there are National, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan schools in connection with the several churches and chapels. Fulham Palace, the seat of the bishop, is a brick building, commenced in the reign of Henry VII., and has two courts, a chapel, and extensive grounds, in which are many exotic plants and trees. The chapel contains portraits of most of the bishops who have had residence here.

from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

Hide
topup

Church Directories

Parishes in this Rural Deanery in 1903

Outline map of Parishes in 1903

Anglican churches of Fulham - list in alphabetic order with numbers corresponding to outline map.

topup

Description & Travel

Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"FULHAM, a parish in the Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 2 miles S. of Hammersmith, and 6 S.W. of the General Post-Office. It is situated in a bend of the Thames, being bounded on the E., S., and W. by that river, and is opposite Putney, with which it is connected by a bridge. Parsons Green, Walham Green, and North End, are included in the parish, and Hammersmith formed part of it till 1834, when that was made a separate parish. " (There is more of this description).

"NORTH-END (FULHAM), a district in the parish of Fulham, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 1 mile E. of Hammersmith, and 6 miles S.W. of St. Paul's, London. It is situated at the bridge over the Thames opposite Putney, and was the residence of Foote, the tragedian; Bartolozzi, the engraver; Tonson, the bookseller; and Richardson, the author of "Clarissa Harlowe."

[The area shown as North End on a map of 1888 is just South of West Kensington station, the area which is now between North End Road and Earl's Court.] "

"PARSON'S GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Fulham, county Middlesex, 6 miles S.W. of St. Paul's. It is situated near the bridge over the Thames. Several eminent persons have resided here, as Lord Bacon, Richardson, and Addison."

"WALHAM-GREEN, a district chapelry in the parish of Fulham, Kensington division of Ossulstone hundred, county Middlesex, 1 mile N.E. of Fulham, its post town, and 5 S.W. of St. Paul's. It is situated near the river Thames. In 1861 the ecclesiastical district contained a population of 6,931. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of London, value £180, in the patronage of the Vicar of Fulham. The church, dedicated to St. John, was erected in 1829 at an expense of about £10,000. The Butchers' Almshouses are situated here."

Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.

You can see pictures of Fulham which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Fulham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ240768 (Lat/Lon: 51.476579, -0.215879), Fulham which are provided by: